Solving Equations of Complex Numbers

In summary, complex numbers contain both a real part and an imaginary part, written in the form a + bi. To solve equations with complex numbers, the same techniques as solving equations with real numbers can be used, while keeping in mind the properties of imaginary numbers. Complex numbers can have multiple solutions due to the two possible values of the square root of -1. To graph complex numbers, the complex plane is used, where the real part is plotted on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. Real-life applications of solving equations with complex numbers include engineering, physics, and economics, especially in analyzing alternating current circuits, solving differential equations, and modeling economic growth.
ENGR_student

Homework Statement

Show that (1+i) is a root of the equation z4=-4 and find the other roots in the form a+bi where (a) and (b) are real.

Homework Equations

Using De Moivre's Theorem
zn=[rn,nθ]
Modulus(absolute value of z) = 4
Argument = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

r4=4 → r = (4)^(1/5)
argument(z) = ∏/4 (not sure if that was right...)

Let:
[r4],5θ] = [4,2n∏ + ∏/4]

and then solve for the solutions for (n=-1,-2,1,2...im assuming to make it symmetrical)

Physics news on Phys.org
ENGR_student said:

Homework Statement

Show that (1+i) is a root of the equation z4=-4 and find the other roots in the form a+bi where (a) and (b) are real.

Homework Equations

Using De Moivre's Theorem
zn=[rn,nθ]
Modulus(absolute value of z) = 4
Argument = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

r4=4 → r = (4)^(1/5)
argument(z) = ∏/4 (not sure if that was right...)

Let:
[r4],5θ] = [4,2n∏ + ∏/4]

and then solve for the solutions for (n=-1,-2,1,2...im assuming to make it symmetrical)

No.

Where is 1+i in the complex plane? You can draw it, then the absolute value is just [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and the principle argument, [itex]\theta[/itex], is [itex]\pi/4[/itex] right? So then [itex]1+i=\sqrt{2} e^{\pi i/4}[/itex]. Now what do you get when you raise that expression to the fourth power?

And in general, when you have an expression [itex] z^n=-k[/itex], we obtain [itex]z=(-k)^{1/n}[/itex] and

[tex](-k)^{1/n}=k^{1/n}e^{i/n(\pi+2j\pi)}, \quad j=0,1,2,\cdots,n-1[/tex]

Personally, I wouldn't bother with "polar form". The first part asks you to "Show that (1+i) is a root of the equation [itex]z^4=-4[/itex]". That, alone, does NOT ask you to solve the equation. You can "show that 'a' is a root of the equation f(x)= b" by evaluating f(a) and showing that it is 'b'. Here, if z= 1+ i then [itex]z^2= (1+ i)^2= 1^2+ 2(1)(i)+ i^2= 1+ 2i- 1= 2i[/itex]. Then [itex]z^4= ((1+ i)^2)^2= (2i)^2= -4[/itex].

You should also know that "if a+ bi is a root of a polynomial equation with real coefficients then the complex conjugate, a- bi is also a root". Having determined at 1+i is a root, we immediately know that 1- i is also a root. Knowing that 1+ i is a root, we know that z- (1+ i) is a factor of the polynomial [itex]z^4+ 4[/itex] and knowing that 1- i is a root, we know that z- (1- i) is a factor. That is, we can write [itex]z^4+ 4= (z- (1+i))(z- (1- i))P(x)[/itex].

But [itex](z- (1+i))(z- (1- i))= ((z- 1)- i)((z- 1)+ i)= (z- 1)^2- i^2= z^2- 2z+ 1- i^2= z^2- 2z+ 2[/itex] so that [itex]z^4+ 4= (z^2- 2z+ 2)P(z)[/itex]. Dividing [itex]z^4+ 4[/itex] by [itex]z^2- 2z+ 2[/itex] gives [itex]P(z)= z^2+ 2z+ 2[/itex]. Use the quadratic formula to solve [itex]P(z)= z^2+ 2z+ 2= 0[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving Equations of Complex Numbers

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the square root of -1.

2. How do you solve equations with complex numbers?

To solve equations with complex numbers, you can use the same techniques as solving equations with real numbers. However, you also need to keep in mind the properties of imaginary numbers and use them to simplify the equation.

3. Can complex numbers have multiple solutions?

Yes, complex numbers can have multiple solutions. This is because the square root of -1 has two values, i and -i, which can result in two different solutions for an equation.

4. How do you graph complex numbers?

To graph complex numbers, you can use the complex plane, which is similar to the Cartesian plane. The real part of the complex number is plotted on the x-axis and the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving equations with complex numbers?

Solving equations with complex numbers is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are particularly useful in analyzing alternating current circuits, solving differential equations, and modeling economic growth.