Solving Equation (Application)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Drain Brain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Application
In summary, a man spent 78 dollars for cigarettes and could have bought one more box for $77 if the price per box was .50 cents less.
Drain Brain
a man spent 78 dollars for cigarettes. has the price per box been .50 cents less, he could have had one more box. How many boxes did he buy?

this is where I can get to

let $x=$ number of box bought

$\frac{78}{x}=$ price per box

$\frac{78}{x}-.50=(x+1)$

solving for x I get 177.27

but I know I should've got a whole number answer . please tell me my mistake.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:
a man spent 78 dollars for cigarettes. has the price per box been .50 cents less, he could have had one more box. How many boxes did he buy?

this is where I can get to

let $x=$ number of box bought

$\frac{78}{x}=$ price per box

$\frac{78}{x}-.50=(x+1)$

solving for x I get 177.27

but I know I should've got a whole number answer . please tell me my mistake.
you are right till the point
reduced price per box = $\frac{78}{x}-.50$

then you intemixed the price and number of boxes

now the number of boxes = x + 1

so cost = $78 = (\frac{78}{x}-.50)(x+1) $

now you should be able to take on from here

the answer is 12 boxes right?

I don't understand what you did.

For one thing $\dfrac{78}{x} - 0.50$ is a price (per box), while $x + 1$ is a number of boxes.

This is what you want to do:

Let $x$ = number of boxes, with $y$ = price per box.

We know that:

$xy = 78$, so $y = \dfrac{78}{x}$, so far this agrees with what you did.

Next, we know that:

$(x + 1)(y - 0.50) \leq 78$ (we don't know that if the cigarettes were 50 cents less per box, he could have bought EXACTLY one more box with nothing left over).

This becomes:

$(x + 1)(\frac{78}{x} - \frac{1}{2}) \leq 78$.

I recommend you multiply this out, and multiply both sides by $-2x$ (this will reverse the inequality).

I just followed kaplrasd's suggestion

$78=\left(\frac{78}{x}-\frac{1}{2}\right)(x+1)$
$-0.50x^2-0.5x+78=0$ multiply this by -10

I get

$5x^2+5x-780=0$

solving for x using quadratic formula

I get

$x=12$ discarding the negative root.

And that is "OK" in the sense that it is barely the right answer.

As I pointed out before, this is partly because the problem is imprecisely worded.

The difference between kaliprasad's answer and mine is that with his, you eventually wind up with the quadratic equation:

$x^2 + x - 156 = 0$

and with mine, you wind up with the quadratic inequality:

$x^2 + x - 156 \geq 0$.

Either way, the LHS factors as:

$x^2 + x - 156 = (x - 12)(x + 13)$.

The negative root can clearly be discarded.

With the inequality:

$(x - 12)(x + 13) \geq 0$

we must have either:

$x \geq 12$ AND $x \geq -13$, which boils down to simply: $x \geq 12$

OR:

$x \leq 12$ AND $x \leq - 13$, which amounts to just: $x \leq -13$, which is impractical, given that our solution should be positive.

To see what I mean by using the inequality instead of the equation, suppose $x = 13$.

This means that the cigarettes cost 6 dollars a box.

If the cigarettes only cost 5.50, the man would be able to buy 14 boxes for 77 dollars, which still satisfies the conditions laid out in the original problem.

Drain Brain said:
I just followed kaplrasd's suggestion

$78=\left(\frac{78}{x}-\frac{1}{2}\right)(x+1)$
$-0.50x^2-0.5x+78=0$ multiply this by -10

I get

$5x^2+5x-780=0$

solving for x using quadratic formula

I get

$x=12$ discarding the negative root.

above is the answer.

Related to Solving Equation (Application)

1. What is the process for solving an equation?

The process for solving an equation involves isolating the variable on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side until the value of the variable is determined. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as addition and subtraction, to cancel out terms on the opposite side of the equation.

2. How do I know if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the value of the variable you solved for back into the original equation and see if both sides are equal. If they are, then your solution is correct. You can also use a calculator to evaluate the equation with your solution and see if it produces the same result on both sides of the equation.

3. What are the common mistakes when solving equations?

Some common mistakes when solving equations include forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation, not distributing terms correctly, and making errors when simplifying expressions. It is also important to watch out for extraneous solutions, which are values that satisfy the equation but are not actually solutions.

4. How can I improve my equation solving skills?

One way to improve equation solving skills is to practice solving different types of equations, such as linear, quadratic, and exponential equations. It can also be helpful to review mathematical concepts and properties, such as the distributive property and order of operations. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can provide valuable guidance and feedback.

5. Can equations be used in real-life applications?

Yes, equations are used in many real-life applications, such as calculating distance, time, and speed in physics problems, determining interest rates in finance, and finding the optimal solution to a problem in economics. Equations are also used in various fields of science and engineering to model and solve complex problems.