Problems leading to quadratic equation

In summary, the man spent 78 dollars for cigarettes and could have bought one more box if the price per box had been 50 cents less. Using the equations, we find that the number of boxes he bought is 12.
NotaMathPerson
a man spent 78 dollars for cigarettes. has the price per box been .50 cents less, he could have had one more box. How many boxes did he buy?

Heres what I tried

let $y=$ original price per box
$y-50=$ new price per box

Now,

$\frac{780}{y}=$ original number of boxes bought
$\frac{780}{y-50}=$ new number of boxes bought$\frac{780}{y-50}=\frac{780}{y}+1=$

$y^2-50y-39000=0$

Solving for y I get decimal number.

Can you tell me where my mistake is?

Thanks!

All variables are y. I edited it.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would let $B$ be the number of boxes he bought...and $P$ be the price (in dollars) per box, such that we may state:

\(\displaystyle BP=78\)

\(\displaystyle (B+1)\left(P-\frac{1}{2}\right)=78\)

I am assuming you meant "had the price per box been 50 cents less."

Solving the first equation for $P$ and substituting into the second, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle (B+1)\left(\frac{78}{B}-\frac{1}{2}\right)=78\)

Multiply through by $2B\ne0$:

\(\displaystyle (B+1)(156-B)=156B\)

Expand and write in standard form:

\(\displaystyle B^2+B-156=0\)

Factor:

\(\displaystyle (B+13)(B-12)=0\)

Discard the negative root, and we have:

\(\displaystyle B=12\)

Hello MarkFl!

Can you tell what I did wrong in my attempt above?

NotaMathPerson said:
Hello MarkFl!

Can you tell what I did wrong in my attempt above?

Well, you are being asked for the number of boxes, so you want to get an equation using a variable that represents the number of boxes. That's more direct than solving for the price...but you can answer the question this way.

In your equations you should be using 7800 instead of 780, since you are using cents instead of dollars. See if that fixes things...:D

MarkFL said:
Well, you are being asked for the number of boxes, so you want to get an equation using a variable that represents the number of boxes. That's more direct than solving for the price...but you can answer the question this way.

In your equations you should be using 7800 instead of 780, since you are using cents instead of dollars. See if that fixes things...:D

Oh yes! That careless mistake. Thank you very much!

Related to Problems leading to quadratic equation

1. What are the common types of problems that lead to quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are commonly used to solve problems related to motion, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile or the position of an object at a given time. They are also used in economics, engineering, and other fields to model real-world situations.

2. How do I know when to use a quadratic equation to solve a problem?

If a problem involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a quantity, or if it can be represented by a parabola, then a quadratic equation is likely the appropriate method of solution. Additionally, if the problem involves finding the roots or solutions to an equation, it may also require the use of a quadratic equation.

3. What are the steps for solving a problem using a quadratic equation?

To solve a problem using a quadratic equation, the first step is to identify the problem and determine if it can be represented by a quadratic equation. Next, write down the equation and identify the values for the coefficients. Then, use the quadratic formula or factoring to find the solutions to the equation. Finally, check your solutions by plugging them back into the original equation.

4. Can a problem have more than one solution using a quadratic equation?

Yes, a quadratic equation can have two solutions, one solution, or no real solutions. This is because a quadratic equation is a second-degree polynomial, so it can have at most two distinct solutions. However, it is possible for one or both of the solutions to be complex numbers.

5. Are there any real-world applications of quadratic equations?

Yes, quadratic equations have numerous applications in the real world. They are commonly used in physics to model the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. In economics, quadratic equations can be used to model profit and cost functions. They are also used in engineering to calculate the optimal designs for structures and machines.