How Do You Calculate Loss Percentage in a Quadratic Equation Problem?

That's it, $82.28 is the cost price.In summary, the conversation is about a person selling a horse for $72 and finding that their loss percentage is one-eighth of the cost price. They are asking for an explanation of how to express this algebraically. The solution is to set up the equation $\frac{C-72}{100C} = \frac C 8$ and solve for the cost price, which is $C = $82.28.
NotaMathPerson
A person, selling a horse for $72, finds that his loss per cent is one-eight of the number of dollars that he paid for the horse; what was the cost price?

Can anybody explain the part " loss per cent" and how do I express that algebraically. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
NotaMathPerson said:
A person, selling a horse for $72, finds that his loss per cent is one-eight of the number of dollars that he paid for the horse; what was the cost price?

Can anybody explain the part " loss per cent" and how do I express that algebraically. Thanks!

Hey NotaMathPerson! ;)

That is quite ambiguous.

Suppose the cost price is $C$, then his loss is $C - 72$.

It could mean:
1. His loss per cent of the cost price (which would be my expectation). That would mean that we have $\frac{C-72}{100C} = \frac C 8$.
2. His loss per cent of the selling price. That would mean that we have $\frac{C-72}{7200} = \frac C 8$.
3. If there is a typo, his loss percentage of the cost price, meaning $\frac{C-72}{C} = \frac C 8$.
4. If there is a typo, his loss percentage of the selling price, meaning $\frac{C-72}{72} = \frac C 8$.

Options 1 and 3 do not have a solution, so for now I'm inclined to assume we're talking about option 2, but seeing the result I wouldn't be surprised if option 4 was intended.
Anyway, how about solving it for option 2? (Wondering)

EDIT: I have just noticed that your title mentions solving a quadratic equation.
That suggests that option 1 is intended after all...

Looks to me like your teacher is getting ready to show the class
that a percentage is really a fraction; like 20% = 20/100 = 1/5.

With your problem: 1/8 = .125, or 12.5%.
82.28 - .125*82.22 = 82.28 - 10.28 = 72.

Related to How Do You Calculate Loss Percentage in a Quadratic Equation Problem?

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable. It can have one or two solutions, also known as roots, depending on the values of the constants.

How do you solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods to solve a quadratic equation, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The most commonly used method is the quadratic formula, which is (-b ± √(b^2-4ac)) / 2a. Simply plug in the values of a, b, and c into the formula to find the solutions.

What is the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant is the expression under the square root in the quadratic formula, b^2-4ac. It determines the nature of the roots of a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, there are two distinct real roots. If it is zero, there is one real root. And if it is negative, there are no real roots.

What is the difference between real and imaginary roots?

Real roots are solutions to a quadratic equation that are real numbers, meaning they can be plotted on a number line. Imaginary roots, on the other hand, are solutions that involve the imaginary unit i, which is defined as √(-1). They cannot be plotted on a number line but can be represented in the complex plane.

Why are quadratic equations important?

Quadratic equations are important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model real-life situations and solve problems involving quadratic relationships. They also serve as the foundation for more complex mathematical concepts and are essential in understanding the properties of parabolas.