Solving differential equation using the Power Series Method

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving x²y'' + (x² - 2)y = 0 and the attempt to solve it by dividing through by x² and plugging in a power series representation for y and y''. The conversation then addresses confusion about how to handle the (x² - 2)/x² in front of the sum in the second term and suggests rewriting it as 1 - 2/x². The conversation concludes by discussing the need for two separate sums in the solution.
jmg498

Homework Statement

x²y'' + (x² - 2)y = 0

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided through by x² to get the equation in standard form. Then I plugged in the power series representation for y and y'' into the equation and got to this point...

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~jmg498/equ.png

Now, I know that I want the powers on x to be the same. But before I do an index shift, I'm not really sure how to handle the (x² - 2)/x² in front of the sum in the second term. If it were just an x, then I would be able to strip one element off the index. But since it's not just an x or power of x, I'm not really sure how to handle it.

Thanks for any hints!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well

[tex] \frac{x^{2} - 2}{x^{2}} = 1 - \frac{2}{x^{2}} [/tex]

And then just distribute the sum?

That's where I'm confused. I'm not sure how to distribute the sum with that.

1 - 2/x2 = 1 - 2x-2 so does that mean the sum in the second term becomes xn-2? Not sure...

Well you will now have 2 sums...

So if by the 2nd term you mean 2nd sum, then yes (with a 2 out front)

Related to Solving differential equation using the Power Series Method

1. What is the Power Series Method?

The Power Series Method is a technique used to solve differential equations by expressing the solution as a power series, which is an infinite sum of terms of the form c_n(x-a)^n, where c_n are the coefficients and a is the center of the series.

2. When is the Power Series Method used?

The Power Series Method is typically used when the differential equation cannot be solved using other methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or variation of parameters. It is particularly useful for solving nonlinear differential equations.

3. How does the Power Series Method work?

The Power Series Method involves substituting the power series into the differential equation and solving for the coefficients by equating coefficients of like powers of x. The resulting series is then simplified to obtain the general solution of the equation.

4. What are the advantages of using the Power Series Method?

The Power Series Method is a powerful technique that can be used to solve a wide variety of differential equations. It also provides a general solution that can be used to find specific solutions for different initial or boundary conditions. Additionally, it can be used to approximate solutions to differential equations with high accuracy.

5. What are the limitations of the Power Series Method?

One limitation of the Power Series Method is that it can only be used to find solutions that can be expressed as power series. It also requires a lot of algebraic manipulation, which can be time-consuming and tedious. Furthermore, the convergence of the series may be an issue, and the method may not work for all types of differential equations.