How Do You Solve Differential Equations with Variable Power Terms?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Another1
  • Start date
In summary, in problem B, the equations \[y_1 = c_1x^2\] and \[y_2 = c_2x^{-2}\] correspond to \[y_1y_2 = c_1c_2 = c = constant\], and this allows us to find the derivatives \[y_1', y_1'', y_2', y_2''\] by solving the equation \[2p_1p_2 + p_2' = 0\]. However, in problem C, we do not have a clear solution, so we assign \[y = c_1x^r + c_2x^s\] and
Another1
Des2.png

in problem b from \[ y_1y_2 = c \] so I was able to specify that \[ y_1 = c_1x^2 \] abd \[ y_2 = c_2x^{-2} \]
Correspond to \[ y_1y_2 = c_1c_2 = c = constant \] then I can find \[ y_1', y_1'', y_2',y_2'' \]
So. I can solve \[2p_1p_2 +p_2' = 0\]

But in problem C, I have no idea, so I assign \[ y = c_1x^r + c_2x^s \] but i can solve it

Physics news on Phys.org
I select \[ y_1= c_1x^r\] and \[ y_2= c_2x^s\]
so \[ (x+1)x^2y_1'' + xy_1' +(x+1)^3y_1 = 0\] and
\[ (x+1)x^2y_2'' + xy_2' +(x+1)^3y_2 = 0\] i find first and second deriative of y1 and y2
I get two equations
\[r(r-1)(x+1) +rx - (x+1)^3 = 0 \] \[s(s-1)(x+1) +sx - (x+1)^3 = 0 \]

Related to How Do You Solve Differential Equations with Variable Power Terms?

1. What kind of problem do you need help with?

As a scientist, I am trained to solve a wide range of problems in various fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and more. Please provide specific details about your problem so I can determine if it falls within my area of expertise.

2. Can you guarantee that you will be able to solve my problem?

While I cannot guarantee a solution, I will use my knowledge, skills, and resources to the best of my ability to help you find a solution. It is also important to keep in mind that some problems may not have a definitive answer.

3. How long will it take for you to solve my problem?

The time it takes to solve a problem can vary depending on its complexity. I will work efficiently and diligently to provide a solution as quickly as possible, but it is important to also allow enough time for thorough analysis and experimentation.

4. Will you be able to explain the solution to me in simple terms?

Yes, I will do my best to explain the solution in a way that is easy to understand. I understand that not everyone has a background in science, so I will try to break down the concepts and explain them in simple terms.

5. How much will it cost for you to help me solve my problem?

As a scientist, my primary goal is to contribute to the advancement of knowledge and understanding. I am not motivated by financial gain, so I am happy to offer my assistance free of charge. However, if the problem requires extensive resources or equipment, there may be associated costs that we can discuss further.