Solving Definite Integral Problem with Density Function f(x) = 2e^(-0.25x)

In summary, the conversation is about a given density function and the problem of finding the probability of x being less than or equal to 3. There is some confusion about the value of k and the range of the probability function. The original poster is seeking clarification on their solution and if they have misunderstood something about k.
maxpayne_lhp
Hello,

Okay so I was given a density function:

[tex] f(x) = 2e^(-0.25x) [/tex]

The problem asks for the value of Pr(X < or = 3)

I first figured out the probability density function first by let

[tex] \int (3,0) k.25e^(-.25x) = 1 [/tex]

And figured out that k = .45

and continue solving my problem until i get the final answer is -.212

So, is my solution correct? Did I misunderstand something about k?

Thanks much!

NN

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, my LaTeX code looks bad.

Click this picture to see where your typing went wrong

[tex] k\int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-0.25 x}{}dx =1 [/tex]

I don't know about the value of k, whether it's correct or not, guess not...

Daniel.

What do you mean, you were "given a density function:
[itex]f(x)= 2e^{-.25x}[/itex]"? You seem to think that you need to find a multiplier k so that the "total integral" (is that supposed to be an integral from 0 to 3?) is 1. If that were the case then you wouldn't be asked for the probability that x is between 0 and 3: it would be 1!

Dextercioby, on the other hand, seems to think that you need to find k such that the integral from 0 to infinity is 1.

I see that we are already told that the function is [itex]2e^{-.25x}[/itex]. That is, that the "k" is 2, but that we are not given an interval over which this is to be the probability density.

Daniel, yeah thanks for the code... i meant

[tex] k\int_{0}^{3} e^{-0.25 x}{}dx =1 [/tex]

HallsofIvy, Uh... Thats the same word from the problem in the book... and yes, thats the integral from 0 to 3... I am not sure I know about the total integral...

Sorry about the confusion.

Then please state the problem exactly, word for word. So far you have told us that the density function is [tex] f(x) = 2e^{-0.25x} [/tex]
that [tex] k\int_{0}^{3} e^{-0.25 x}{}dx =1 [/tex]
and that the problem asks for the probability that x is less than or equal to 3. I'm afraid none of that makes much sense to me. What exacly is the probability function and over what range is it defined?

Related to Solving Definite Integral Problem with Density Function f(x) = 2e^(-0.25x)

1. What is the formula for solving a definite integral with a density function?

The formula for solving a definite integral with a density function is:
ab f(x) dx = ∫ab 2e-0.25x dx

2. How do I find the limits of integration for a definite integral with a density function?

The limits of integration, denoted by a and b in the formula, represent the lower and upper bounds of the interval over which the integral is being evaluated. In order to find these limits, you need to determine the values of x at which the function intersects the x-axis. These points will be the limits of integration.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a definite integral with a density function?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a definite integral with a density function. Many scientific calculators have built-in functions for solving integrals numerically. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving the integral by hand in order to use the calculator effectively.

4. What is the purpose of a density function in a definite integral problem?

A density function, denoted by f(x), is a mathematical representation of the probability that a random variable takes on a specific value. In a definite integral problem, the density function is used to determine the area under the curve within a specific interval, which represents the probability of a certain outcome occurring.

5. How do I interpret the result of a definite integral problem with a density function?

The result of a definite integral problem with a density function represents the probability that the random variable falls within the given interval. This probability is represented by the area under the curve bounded by the interval. The larger the area, the higher the probability of the event occurring.