Solving Chain Rule Derivatives: y=a^3+cos^3 (x) & y=[x+(x+sin^2 (x))^7]^5

• MHB
  • Thread starter tc903
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Issues
In summary, the conversation discussed two questions involving the chain rule and finding derivatives. The first question was y=a^3+cos^3 (x) and the derivative was found to be y' = (a^3)(ln a)-3((cos (x))^2)(sin (x)). The second question was y=[x+(x+sin^2 (x))^7]^5 and the derived answer was y' = 5[x+(x+sin^2 (x))^7]^4 * [1+7(x+sin^2 (x))^6 * (1+2sin(x)cos(x))]. The use of half-angle formulas was discussed and it was advised to write cos^2(x) as
tc903
My first question states y=a^3+cos^3 (x) (I couldn't quite figure out latex again.)

The derivative using the chain rule I found to be
y'=(a^3)(ln a)+3((cos (x))^2)(-sin(x)) = y' = (a^3)(ln a)-3((cos (x))^2)(sin (x))

The second question y=[x+(x+sin^2 (x))^7]^5

Derived using chain rule,
y'=5[x+(x+sin^2 (x))^7][1+7(x+sin^2 (x))^6](1+2sin (x))(cos(x))

The title wasn't meant for the latex, I have to plug these into a computer as answers. I was just wondering if I had problems with the way my answer ended or was I to continue with substituting half angle formula's such as sin^2 (x) and cos^2 (x).

Physics news on Phys.org
tc903 said:
My first question states y=a^3+cos^3 (x) (I couldn't quite figure out latex again.)

The derivative using the chain rule I found to be
y'=(a^3)(ln a)+3((cos (x))^2)(-sin(x)) = y' = (a^3)(ln a)-3((cos (x))^2)(sin (x))

If you're taking the derivative with respect to $x$, then you should leave off the logarithm term - it's a constant. I get
$y'=-3 \cos^2(x) \, \sin(x).$

The second question y=[x+(x+sin^2 (x))^7]^5

Derived using chain rule,
y'=5[x+(x+sin^2 (x))^7][1+7(x+sin^2 (x))^6](1+2sin (x))(cos(x))

Hmm, this one's a bit trickier. I get
\begin{align*}
y&=\left[x+(x+\sin^2(x))^7\right]^5 \\
y'&=5\left[x+(x+\sin^2(x))^7\right]^4 \cdot \left[1+7(x+\sin^2(x))^6(1+2\sin(x)\cos(x))\right].
\end{align*}

The title wasn't meant for the latex, I have to plug these into a computer as answers. I was just wondering if I had problems with the way my answer ended or was I to continue with substituting half angle formula's such as sin^2 (x) and cos^2 (x).

I don't know that I would bother about half-angle formulas. But I would give you this advice: almost no computer system understands cos^2(x). You should write it as (cos(x))^2.

Does this answer your question?

Related to Solving Chain Rule Derivatives: y=a^3+cos^3 (x) & y=[x+(x+sin^2 (x))^7]^5

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you apply the chain rule to solve derivatives?

To apply the chain rule, first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. Finally, substitute the inner function back into the original function to get the final answer.

3. What is the derivative of y=a^3+cos^3(x)?

The derivative of y=a^3+cos^3(x) is dy/dx=3a^2-a^3sin(x).

4. What is the derivative of y=[x+(x+sin^2(x))^7]^5?

The derivative of y=[x+(x+sin^2(x))^7]^5 is dy/dx=5[2(x+sin^2(x))^6(1+2sin(x)cos(x))+(x+sin^2(x))^4(1+2sin(x)cos(x))].

5. Can the chain rule be applied to any function?

Yes, the chain rule can be applied to any function that is composed of two or more functions. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to find the derivatives of more complex functions.