Solving Calculus Chain Rule: Step by Step Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule in calculus proofs, specifically in the case of lim h -> 0 [f(g(x+h))] - f(g(x))]/h. The speaker starts by breaking down the problem and solving for g(x) and f(y) separately. However, the listener points out that the two expressions are not equal and suggests using the concept of epsilon to make a more formal proof. The listener also provides a link to a helpful resource for understanding the chain rule.
snesnerd
Hi, I have been doing research in my spare time this summer on calculus proofs. I am working on a mathematics degree and I am working to understand calculus inside and out. It has been going really well but I have sort of hit a bump with the calc 1 chain rule. Here is my attempt:

lim h -> 0 [f(g(x+h))] - f(g(x))]/h is what I am aiming to solve. We want to work from the inside out, so let's start with g(x).

The derivative of g(x) is lim h -> 0 [g(x+h) - g(x)]/h. Since this is the derivative of g(x) I can rewrite this as [g(x+h) - g(x)]/h = g'(x). Now I solve for g(x+h). Multiply both sides by h. [g(x+h) - g(x)] = h[g'(x)]. Add g(x) to both sides. g(x+h) = h[g'(x)] + g(x). Now I know what g(x+h) equals.

Likewise I have to know what f(x) is too. I will be using y and k for f(x) since I used x and h for g(x). The derivative of f(y) in this case is lim h -> 0 [f(y+k) - f(y)]/k. Using the same idea as above to solve for f(y+k), I get f(y+k) = k[f'(y)] + f(y).

So f([h[g'(x)] + g(x)] - f(g(x))/h. Now I am unsure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
snesnerd said:
Hi, I have been doing research in my spare time this summer on calculus proofs. I am working on a mathematics degree and I am working to understand calculus inside and out. It has been going really well but I have sort of hit a bump with the calc 1 chain rule. Here is my attempt:

lim h -> 0 [f(g(x+h))] - f(g(x))]/h is what I am aiming to solve. We want to work from the inside out, so let's start with g(x).

The derivative of g(x) is lim h -> 0 [g(x+h) - g(x)]/h. Since this is the derivative of g(x) I can rewrite this as [g(x+h) - g(x)]/h = g'(x).

No, you can't do that. Those aren't equal. What you could write is$$
g'(x) = \frac{g(x+h)- g(x)}{h} +\left( g'(x) - \frac{g(x+h)- g(x)}{h}\right)$$The expression in parentheses approaches 0 as ##h\rightarrow 0## so for convenience, just call the expression in parentheses ##\epsilon(h)## so you can write$$
g'(x) = \frac{g(x+h)- g(x)}{h} +\epsilon(h)$$where ##lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\epsilon(h)=0##.

Look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule and scroll down to the second proof of the chain rule to see how this idea is used to make a formal proof.

Related to Solving Calculus Chain Rule: Step by Step Guide

1. What is the chain rule in calculus?

The chain rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. Why is the chain rule important in calculus?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used in many applications, such as optimization and curve sketching.

3. How do you apply the chain rule in calculus?

To apply the chain rule, you first identify the outer function and the inner function. Then, you take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. If there are multiple nested functions, you continue this process until you reach the innermost function.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule include forgetting to take the derivative of the outer function, not using the correct chain rule formula, and not properly identifying the outer and inner functions. It is important to carefully follow the steps and pay attention to the order of operations.

5. Can you provide an example of using the chain rule to solve a calculus problem?

Sure! Let's say we have the function f(x) = (3x^2 + 2x)^5. We can use the chain rule to find the derivative of this function. First, we identify the outer function as the power function f(x)^5 and the inner function as 3x^2 + 2x. Then, we take the derivative of the outer function, which is 5f(x)^4, and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function, which is 6x + 2. This gives us the final answer of 5(3x^2 + 2x)^4(6x + 2).