Compact Hausdorff Spaces: Star-Isomorphic Unital C*-Algebras

In summary, you need to show that if ##X## and ##Y## are homeomorphic compact Hausdorff spaces, then ##C(X)## and ##C(Y)## are star-isomorphic unital ##C^{*}##-algebras.
HeinzBor
Homework Statement
ismorphism between hausdorff compact spaces on C(X) to C(Y)
Relevant Equations
Standard Algebra definitions.
If ##X## and ##Y## are homeomorphic compact Hausdorff spaces, then ##C(X)## and ##C(Y)## are ##star##-isomorphic unital ##C^{*}##-algebras.

So I got the following map to work with

(AND RECALL THAT ##C(X)## and ##C(Y)## are vector spaces).
$$C(h) : C(Y) \rightarrow C(X) \ : \ f \mapsto f \circ h$$
and thus to show linearity (one of the many statements) I must show that
$$((f+ \lambda g) \circ h)(x) = (f \circ h + \lambda g \circ h) (x) \ \ \lambda \in \mathbb{C}, g \in C(Y)$$
However, I am a bit confused on how to work with this mapping, any help is appreciated..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this simply the definition of the vector space property of ##C(Y)##?

fresh_42 said:
Isn't this simply the definition of the vector space property of ##C(Y)##?
Yea I assume I can work with the axioms of a vector space since the functions belong to C(X) and C(Y). However, I haven't had an algebra course for so long, so I am a bit confused on how to work with those definitions, when I have the composition instead of the usual product showing up. Am I allowed to just work with the composition as a standard product in a vector space?

You simply have ##h(x)=:y\in Y##. So if you write down the linearity in ##C(Y),## namely the linearity
$$
(f+\lambda \cdot g)(y) := f(y)+ \lambda \cdot g(y),
$$
in a function space, then you get exactly what you need. Only substitute ##y## by ##h(x).##

Likes HeinzBor
fresh_42 said:
You simply have ##h(x)=:y\in Y##. So if you write down the linearity in ##C(Y),## namely the linearity
$$
(f+\lambda \cdot g)(y) := f(y)+ \lambda \cdot g(y),
$$
in a function space, then you get exactly what you need. Only substitute ##y## by ##h(x).##
Ahhh yes ! of course.. $$X \rightarrow V$$ can be given the structure of a vector space over $$\mathbb{F}$$, if for any $$f,g : X \rightarrow V$$, $$x \in X$$, $$\lambda \in \mathbb{F}$$ $$(f+g)(x) = f(x) + g(x)$$ and $$(\lambda f)(x) = \lambda f(x)$$ and composition is associative..

Last edited:
Okay so for linearity:

$$
((f + \lambda g) \circ h)(x) = f((h(x)) + \lambda g (h(x)))
= (f \circ h + \lambda g \circ h)(x)
$$

Multiplicativity:

$$
(f \circ g) ( g \circ h) (x) = f(g \circ h)(x)
= ((fg) \circ h) (x).
$$

To show the mapping preserves involution:

$$
(\overline{f} \circ h)(x) = \overline{f}(x)
= (\overline{f \circ h})(x)
$$Lastly I must show that it is unital i.e.

$$1 h = 1$$, somehow it seems really obvious, but how can h just be gone... $$h$$ was assumed to be a homeomorphism between to compact hausdorff spaces so its 1-1 and has continuous inverse...

Related to Compact Hausdorff Spaces: Star-Isomorphic Unital C*-Algebras

1. What is a Compact Hausdorff Space?

A Compact Hausdorff Space is a topological space that is both compact and Hausdorff. Compactness means that every open cover has a finite subcover, while Hausdorffness means that for any two distinct points in the space, there exist disjoint open sets containing each point.

2. What is a Star-Isomorphic Unital C*-Algebra?

A Star-Isomorphic Unital C*-Algebra is a type of algebraic structure that is used to study the properties of compact Hausdorff spaces. It is a Banach algebra with an involution operation (the "star" operation) that preserves the norm and satisfies certain properties. Unital means that the algebra contains a multiplicative identity element.

3. How are Compact Hausdorff Spaces and Star-Isomorphic Unital C*-Algebras related?

Compact Hausdorff Spaces and Star-Isomorphic Unital C*-Algebras are closely related because each compact Hausdorff space has a corresponding C*-algebra, and the properties of the space can be studied through the properties of the algebra. Star-isomorphism means that the two algebras are isomorphic and their star operations are compatible.

4. What is the significance of studying Compact Hausdorff Spaces and Star-Isomorphic Unital C*-Algebras?

Studying these structures is important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding the properties of compact Hausdorff spaces. They are also used in various areas of mathematics, such as functional analysis, operator theory, and representation theory.

5. Can Compact Hausdorff Spaces and Star-Isomorphic Unital C*-Algebras be used in practical applications?

Yes, these structures have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they are used in quantum mechanics to study the properties of physical systems, and in signal processing for analyzing and manipulating signals. They also have applications in data compression and coding theory.