Solving Arc Length Problem: 45 Degrees & x-Axis

In summary, the problem is to find the length of the curve y^2=x^3 from the origin to the point where the tangent makes an angle of 45 degrees with the x-axis. The arc length formula is given and the first step is to find the x-coordinate of the point on the curve where the tangent meets this condition.
CACain
..Or I think this is considered that...

Here's the problem as written then I'll get to it:
Find the length of the curve y^2=x^3 from the orign to the point where the tangent makes an angle of 45 degrees with the x-axis.

Okay, by me posting this, I don't want anyone (nor am I looking for someone) to give me the answer. ...that being said, I feel completely comfortable saying I don't have the FIRST clue of how to start this :)

So if someone could just help give me a kick-start on this, I'll do my best to take it from there!

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, first of all, what is the gradient of a line which makes an angle of 45 degrees with the x-axis ? So what is [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] at this point ? Find the x-coordinate of the point on the curve where this condition for the tangent is met.

The arc length s of a curve between x = a and x = b is given by

[tex]s = \int_a^b{\sqrt{1 + {(\frac{dy}{dx})}^2}dx}[/tex]

Can you proceed with that ?

Last edited:

Related to Solving Arc Length Problem: 45 Degrees & x-Axis

What is the formula for finding arc length on the x-axis at 45 degrees?

The formula for finding arc length on the x-axis at 45 degrees is l = rθ, where l represents the arc length, r represents the radius, and θ represents the central angle in radians.

How do I find the radius if it is not given in the problem?

If the radius is not given in the problem, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find it. The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, the hypotenuse would be the radius, and the other two sides would be the x-coordinate and y-coordinate of the point on the circle where the arc starts.

What is the value of θ for a 45 degree angle in radians?

A 45 degree angle is equal to π/4 radians. This can be found by converting degrees to radians using the formula radians = (π/180) * degrees.

Can I use the same formula for finding arc length on the y-axis?

Yes, the same formula can be used for finding arc length on both the x-axis and y-axis. However, the value of θ will be different depending on the orientation of the arc. On the x-axis, θ represents the central angle in radians, while on the y-axis, θ represents the central angle in degrees.

How do I convert radians to degrees?

To convert radians to degrees, you can use the formula degrees = (180/π) * radians. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or a conversion chart to find the equivalent degree measure.