Difficult simplification for Arc length integral

In summary, the goal is to find the length of a curve using the integral for arc length and the given formula, x = 3y^(4/3) - (3/32)y^(2/3), with a domain of -64≤y≤64. After using symmetry to simplify the integral, the expression under the radical can be expanded to 16y^(2/3) + 1/2 + (1/256)y^(-2/3). This can then be factored into a perfect square, 4y^(1/3) + (1/16)y^(-1/3), which is the simplified form provided by Wolfram.
nicnicman

Homework Statement

Find the length of the curve
[itex]x = 3 y^{4/3}-\frac{3}{32}y^{2/3}, \quad -64\le y\le 64[/itex]

Homework Equations

Integral for arc length (L):
[itex]L = \int_a^b \sqrt{1 + (\frac{dy}{dx})^{2}} dx[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using symmetry of the interval and the above integral for arc length I got
[itex]L = 2\int_0^{64} \sqrt{1 + (4y^{\frac{1}{3}-}\frac{1}{16y^{\frac{1}{3}}})^{2}} dy[/itex]

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble integrating this beast. Using Wolfram Alpha as a last resort, I found the integrand can be simplified to this:
[itex]4y^{\frac{1}{3}}+\frac{1}{16y^{\frac{1}{3}}}[/itex]
However, I can't see how Worlfram made this simplification. (A step-by-step solution was not available.)

Could someone show me how the the original integrand could be simplified to this form? After that I should be fine.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The expression 4y1/3 - (1/16)y-1/3 isn't dy/dx, it's dx/dy. So the differential in your expression for L should be dy rather than dx. But, OK, to answer your actual question:

The expression under the radical sign can be simplified if you square the parenthesized expression by the rules of high-school algebra. It comes out to 16y2/3 - 1/2 + (1/256)y-2/3, so when you add 1 to it, the -1/2 becomes a +1/2, and the square root is just the same as what was formerly in the parentheses...except now the minus is a plus.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know the dx and dy are backwards...it's just the generic formula we were given. Sorry for any confusion.

I did expand the expression under the radical and came up with the same expansion you did, but I still could not see a good way to integrate it.

That's when I turned to Wolfram and found the simplification shown in the original post. However, I don't see how to get to that simplification.

Last edited:
nicnicman said:
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know the dx and dy are backwards...it's just the generic formula we were given. Sorry for any confusion.

I did expand the expression under the radical and came up with the same expansion you did, but I still could not see a good way to integrate it.

That's when I turned to Wolfram and found the simplification shown in the original post. However, I don't see how to get to that simplification.

Just follow az-lender's lead and factor 16y^(2/3) + 1/2 + (1/256)y^(-2/3) into a perfect square.

nicnicman said:
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know the dx and dy are backwards...it's just the generic formula we were given.
It's likely that you were given three formulas: one where y is a function of x, another where x is a function of y, and a third where x and y are functions of a parameter such as t. It's important to know which one to apply to a given situation - you can't just mix and match things.
nicnicman said:
Sorry for any confusion.

Okay thanks for the help everyone

Related to Difficult simplification for Arc length integral

What is the purpose of simplifying the arc length integral?

The arc length integral is used to find the length of a curve. Simplifying it makes the calculation easier and more efficient.

What makes the arc length integral difficult to simplify?

The arc length integral can be difficult to simplify because it involves complex mathematical concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and trigonometric functions.

What are some common techniques for simplifying the arc length integral?

Some common techniques include using trigonometric identities, substitution, and integration by parts.

Why is it important to simplify the arc length integral?

Simplifying the arc length integral can make it easier to understand and use in real-world applications, such as calculating the length of a curve in physics or engineering problems.

What are some examples of real-world applications of the arc length integral?

The arc length integral is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and geometry to calculate the length of curved objects, such as roads, bridges, and curves in space.