Solving an intial value problem using relative extrema

In summary, the problem involves determining the numerical value of y at t=0.8 and the first derivative at a local maximum or minimum. To solve, the first derivative is set to zero and solved for y, resulting in a value of -1.34909. The full y(t) function can also be found by solving the differential equation and using the value of y at t=0.8 to determine the integration constant.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

See uploaded file. PROBLEM 5

Homework Equations

See uploaded file

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused on how to go about doing the rest of this I realize I can do it with the first and second derivatives but I forgot what exactly I do with that. I know the first derivative gives me a tangent line to the curve or should I use limits to do this? SEE PROBLEM 5

Attachments

• EPSON009.jpg
    EPSON009.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 358
  • EPSON010.jpg
    EPSON010.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand what you tried to do. The problem asks the numerical value of y at t=0.8.
What is the value of the first derivative at a local maximum or minimum? Substitute it for y' in the equation.

ehild

ok so should I scap my work or just plug .8 into the first derivative of what I did?

Answer my question, please. What is the numerical value of the first derivative of any function at a local extreme?

ehild

Ok man you got me I really am trying so at a local extreme there has to be a critical point so the value of the derivative at that point equals zero correct?

ok so by setting y'=0 and solving for y I get -1.34909.

Correct.
You can solve the differential equation, too (although it is not asked) and use this value of y at t=0.8 to get the integration constant. And then the full y(t) function is known.

ehild

Related to Solving an intial value problem using relative extrema

What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem (IVP) is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies a given set of conditions. These conditions usually include a differential equation and one or more initial values. The goal is to find a specific solution to the equation that satisfies the initial values.

What are relative extrema?

Relative extrema, also known as local extrema, are points on a graph where the function has a maximum or minimum value within a specific interval. These points can be found by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. The resulting values are called critical points, and the function values at these points are the relative extrema.

How do you solve an initial value problem using relative extrema?

To solve an IVP using relative extrema, you first need to find the critical points of the function by taking its derivative and setting it equal to zero. Then, you can plug these critical values into the original function to find the corresponding function values at those points. Finally, you can use these values to construct a solution that satisfies the given initial values.

What are the applications of solving initial value problems using relative extrema?

Solving IVPs using relative extrema is a useful tool in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples include predicting the motion of objects, optimizing production processes, and analyzing market trends.

What are some strategies for solving initial value problems using relative extrema?

Some strategies for solving IVPs using relative extrema include using the first and second derivative tests to identify and classify critical points, plotting the function to visualize the behavior of the function, and checking the validity of the solution by plugging it back into the original equation.