Finding Extrema of a Set: A Derivative Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving finding the maximum and/or minimum of a set {(x2 + x + 1)/(x2 + 1) : x∈ℝ}. The suggested method is to use derivatives to find where the slope of the function is zero, potentially indicating an extremum. However, there is a mistake in the calculation of the second derivative, leading to incorrect conclusions. The correct solution is that x = -1 is a minimum and x = 1 is a maximum.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! It's kind of the first time that I try to solve this type of problem, so I'd like to see what you guys think about it and if I am heading in the right direction:

Examine if the set {(x2 + x + 1)/(x2 + 1) : x∈ℝ} has a maximum and/or a minimum, and calculate those extrema if so.

Homework Equations

Derivatives?

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I directly have a first question regarding the problem: can I treat the set as a function or is that nonsense? I think the derivatives of that expression should tell me where the slope of the function is zero and therefore potentially reaching an extremum (or not), right?

So here we go:

(d/dx)(x2 + x + 1)/(x2 + 1) = [(2x + 1)(x2 + 1) - (x2 + x + 1)(2x)]/(x2 + 1)2 = (-x2 + 1)/(x2 + 1)2

which is equal to 0 for x = {-1;1}. Now I take the second derivative of the set to check if it is also equal to 0 for x = {-1;1}, and if it is not then those values of x would mark two extrema.

(d/dx)(-x2 + 1)/(x2 + 1)2 = [2x(x2 - 3)]/(x2 + 1)3

which is equal to 1/2 for x = -1 and -1/2 for x = 1, which would that the set has a minimum at x = 1 and a maximum at x = -1. But I know from the graph that that is wrong, although the values for x are right :/

Where is my mistake? Is that to begin with the right way to proceed? And if yes, are there also other methods? Do you have any remark about such problems, especially about the difference between extrema of sets and of functions?Thank you in advance for your answers.Julien.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh I think I just wrote the method wrong. If f'(x0 ) = 0 and f''(x0) < 0, then there is a maximum at x = x0? That would make sense with the problem above.Julien.

Last edited by a moderator:
JulienB said:

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! It's kind of the first time that I try to solve this type of problem, so I'd like to see what you guys think about it and if I am heading in the right direction:

Examine if the set {(x2 + x + 1)/(x2 + 1) : x∈ℝ} has a maximum and/or a minimum, and calculate those extrema if so.

Homework Equations

Derivatives?

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I directly have a first question regarding the problem: can I treat the set as a function or is that nonsense? I think the derivatives of that expression should tell me where the slope of the function is zero and therefore potentially reaching an extremum (or not), right?

So here we go:

(d/dx)(x2 + x + 1)/(x2 + 1) = [(2x + 1)(x2 + 1) - (x2 + x + 1)(2x)]/(x2 + 1)2 = (-x2 + 1)/(x2 + 1)2

which is equal to 0 for x = {-1;1}. Now I take the second derivative of the set to check if it is also equal to 0 for x = {-1;1}, and if it is not then those values of x would mark two extrema.

(d/dx)(-x2 + 1)/(x2 + 1)2 = [2x(x2 - 3)]/(x2 + 1)3

which is equal to 1/2 for x = -1 and -1/2 for x = 1, which would that the set has a minimum at x = 1 and a maximum at x = -1. But I know from the graph that that is wrong, although the values for x are right :/

Where is my mistake? Is that to begin with the right way to proceed? And if yes, are there also other methods? Do you have any remark about such problems, especially about the difference between extrema of sets and of functions?Thank you in advance for your answers.Julien.

Your conclusions are exactly backwards: ##x = -1## is a (global) minimum, while ##x = 1## is a global max.

Likes JulienB
@Ray Vickson Yeah I realized that. Thank you for your answer.Julien.

Related to Finding Extrema of a Set: A Derivative Approach

What is the definition of maximum and minimum of a set?

The maximum of a set is the highest value in the set, while the minimum is the lowest value.

How do you find the maximum and minimum of a set?

To find the maximum of a set, you can arrange the values in the set in numerical order and the last value will be the maximum. To find the minimum, you can arrange the values in the set in numerical order and the first value will be the minimum.

Can a set have more than one maximum or minimum value?

Yes, a set can have more than one maximum or minimum value. If there are multiple values that are the same and also the highest or lowest in the set, they can all be considered as the maximum or minimum.

What is the difference between absolute maximum and relative maximum?

The absolute maximum is the highest value in the entire set, while the relative maximum is the highest value within a specific interval or range in the set.

Why is finding the maximum and minimum of a set important in mathematics and science?

Finding the maximum and minimum of a set is important in mathematics and science because it helps us understand the range of values within a given set. It can also be used to identify important data points and make predictions or analyze trends. In addition, it is a fundamental concept in optimization problems, where finding the maximum or minimum value is the main objective.