Solving a Parabolic Bowl Oscillation Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle moving on a frictionless parabolic bowl and finding the period of its oscillations. The person suggests using an equation for velocity and integrating it to find the period, but acknowledges that it may not be physically accurate. They also mention that the acceleration and velocity are not constant, making the method mathematically incorrect.
jderm

Homework Statement

Consider a particle moving back and forth on a frictionless parabolic bowl, y = ax2, where a = 1.460 m-1
If the particle is released from rest at the point on the
bowl at b = 0.43 m, find the period of the oscillations.

I have an equation for velocity(as a function of x). What i was thinking is that i could integrate this from -b to +b, and call this value 'v(x)*d', (it having units of m2/s.
since v=d/t, v(x)*d=d2/t.
thus t=d2/'v(x)*d'.
making the period, T=2*(d2/'v(x)*d'),
where d is the arc length of y(x), from -b to +b.

I realize this may be the least elegant and very possibly "physically incorrect", but it actually gave me a period very close to that obtained by the 'small angle approximation' (however, incorrect)

Can anybody comment on this method?

Physics news on Phys.org
i guess the crux of my argument is whether the area under the v(x) curve can be used in this manner, comments?

The acceleration and velocity are not at all constant, so the method is, mathematically speaking, completely wrong.

Related to Solving a Parabolic Bowl Oscillation Problem

What is a parabolic bowl oscillation problem?

A parabolic bowl oscillation problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the motion of a point on a parabolic bowl that is subject to oscillations due to external forces or disturbances. The goal is to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the point at any given time.

What are the applications of solving a parabolic bowl oscillation problem?

Solving a parabolic bowl oscillation problem has various applications in different fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to study and understand the behavior of pendulums, springs, and other oscillating systems. It is also used in designing and analyzing structures that are subject to vibrations, such as bridges and buildings.

What are the steps involved in solving a parabolic bowl oscillation problem?

The first step is to define the problem and identify the relevant variables, such as the initial conditions, external forces, and the equation of the parabolic bowl. Then, using the principles of classical mechanics, we can derive the equations of motion for the point on the parabolic bowl. Next, we solve these equations using mathematical techniques, such as integration, to obtain the position, velocity, and acceleration of the point at any given time. Finally, we analyze and interpret the results to understand the behavior of the system.

What are the assumptions made when solving a parabolic bowl oscillation problem?

When solving a parabolic bowl oscillation problem, we make several assumptions to simplify the problem. These assumptions include the absence of air resistance, a constant gravitational field, and a perfectly elastic parabolic bowl. Additionally, we assume that the oscillations are small, and the point on the parabolic bowl only moves in the vertical direction.

What are the challenges of solving a parabolic bowl oscillation problem?

Solving a parabolic bowl oscillation problem can be challenging because it involves complex mathematical concepts, such as differential equations and integration. It also requires a good understanding of the principles of classical mechanics and the ability to accurately model real-world systems. Additionally, the problem may become more complicated if there are external forces or disturbances that need to be taken into account.