Lagrangian for a particle in a bowl with parabolic curvature

In summary, the problem involves a particle of mass ##m## moving without friction inside a bowl generated by the paraboloid of revolution ##z=b\rho^2##. The Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equations are derived using the potential and kinetic energy equations in cylindrical coordinates. The Lagrangian is given by $$\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{\rho}^2+\rho^2\dot{\theta}^2+4b^2\rho^2\dot{\rho}^2)-mgb\rho^2,$$ and the Euler-Lagrange equations for ##\theta## and ##\rho## are $$4\rho\dot{\rho
vbrasic

Homework Statement

A particle of mass ##m## moves without slipping inside a bowl generated by the paraboloid of revolution ##z=b\rho^2,## where ##b## is a positive constant. Write the Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equation for this system.

Homework Equations

$$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial q_i}-\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{q_i}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Potential energy is given by, $$V=mgz=mgb\rho^2.$$ Kinetic energy in cylindrical coordinates is given by, $$T=\dot{\rho}^2+\rho^2\dot{\theta}^2+\dot{z}^2=\dot{\rho}^2+\rho^2\dot{\theta}^2+4b^2\rho^2\dot{\rho}^2.$$ Then the Lagrangian is, $$\mathcal{L}=\dot{\rho}^2+\rho^2\dot{\theta}^2+4b^2\rho^2\dot{\rho}^2-mgb\rho^2.$$ Then, we can write the Euler-Lagrange equations for both ##\theta## and ##\rho##. The ##\theta## equation is very simple. We have, $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\theta}=0,$$ and $$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\theta}}=\frac{d}{dt}\bigg(2\rho^2\dot{\theta}\bigg)=4\rho\dot{\rho}\dot{\theta}+2\rho^2\ddot{\theta}.$$ So the Euler-Lagrange equation reads, $$4\rho\dot{\rho}\dot{\theta}+2\rho^2\ddot{\theta}=0.$$ I'm getting messy with my derivatives in the ##\rho## equations. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
vbrasic said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass ##m## moves without slipping inside a bowl generated by the paraboloid of revolution ##z=b\rho^2,## where ##b## is a positive constant. Write the Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equation for this system.

Homework Equations

$$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial q_i}-\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{q_i}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Potential energy is given by, $$V=mgz=mgb\rho^2.$$ Kinetic energy in cylindrical coordinates is given by, $$T=\dot{\rho}^2+\rho^2\dot{\theta}^2+\dot{z}^2=\dot{\rho}^2+\rho^2\dot{\theta}^2+4b^2\rho^2\dot{\rho}^2.$$ Then the Lagrangian is, $$\mathcal{L}=\dot{\rho}^2+\rho^2\dot{\theta}^2+4b^2\rho^2\dot{\rho}^2-mgb\rho^2.$$ Then, we can write the Euler-Lagrange equations for both ##\theta## and ##\rho##. The ##\theta## equation is very simple. We have, $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\theta}=0,$$ and $$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\theta}}=\frac{d}{dt}\bigg(2\rho^2\dot{\theta}\bigg)=4\rho\dot{\rho}\dot{\theta}+2\rho^2\ddot{\theta}.$$ So the Euler-Lagrange equation reads, $$4\rho\dot{\rho}\dot{\theta}+2\rho^2\ddot{\theta}=0.$$ I'm getting messy with my derivatives in the ##\rho## equations. Any help would be appreciated.
Your work looks correct so far except for a factor of ##\frac 1 2 m## missing from T and its partials. That doesn't matter in your partials with respect to ##θ## and ##\dot θ##, but it will in the partials with respect to ##ρ## and ##\dot ρ##. If you would post your results so far for partials with respect to ##ρ## and ##\dot ρ##, maybe we could point out where you are going wrong.

[itex] \rho [/itex] is a constant...

vbrasic said:
A particle of mass ##m## moves without slipping inside a bowl
How can the particle move without slipping? I can't visualize that.

TSny said:
How can the particle move without slipping? I can't visualize that.
I think the idea is that a ball is rolling in a bowl without slipping.

If it's a ball, then it will be a really difficult problem. There would be the additional kinetic energy of rotation of the ball. Also, a (non-holonomic) constraint condition would need to be included that corresponds to the rolling without slipping.

Maybe the problem meant to state that the particle moves without friction rather than without slipping.

TSny said:
Maybe the problem meant to state that the particle moves without friction rather than without slipping.

Yes, I meant without friction.

The Lagrangian (with the m/2 factor added), is, $$\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{\rho}^2+\rho^2\dot{\theta}^2+4b^2\rho^2\dot{\rho}^2)-mgb\rho^2.$$ So, $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\rho}=m\rho\dot{\theta}^2+4mb^2\rho\dot{\rho^2}-2mgb\rho,$$ and, $$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\rho}}=m\dot{\rho}+4mb\rho^2\dot{\rho}.$$ Taking the time derivative, we have, $$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\rho}}=m\ddot{\rho}+4mb(2\rho\dot{\rho}^2+\rho^2\ddot{\rho}).$$ Do my derivatives look alright?

Your ##b## should be ##b^2## in these two equations:
vbrasic said:
$$\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\rho}}=m\dot{\rho}+4mb\rho^2\dot{\rho}.$$
$$\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\dot{\rho}}=m\ddot{\rho}+4mb(2\rho\dot{\rho}^2+\rho^2\ddot{\rho}).$$
Otherwise, they look right.

tnich said:
Your ##b## should be ##b^2## in these two equations:

Otherwise, they look right.
As a final question. Supposing that ##\rho## is constant, we have that ##\dot{\rho}=\ddot{\rho}=0,## so the Euler-Lagrange equation for ##\rho## reads $$0\frac{mp\dot{\theta}^2-2mgb\rho}{(m+4mb^2\rho^2)}\to\dot{\theta}=\sqrt{2gb}.$$ Does it physically make sense that change in angular velocity has no dependence in radius if the path is circular with constant radius?

vbrasic said:
As a final question. Supposing that ##\rho## is constant, we have that ##\dot{\rho}=\ddot{\rho}=0,## so the Euler-Lagrange equation for ##\rho## reads $$0\frac{mp\dot{\theta}^2-2mgb\rho}{(m+4mb^2\rho^2)}\to\dot{\theta}=\sqrt{2gb}.$$ Does it physically make sense that change in angular velocity has no dependence in radius if the path is circular with constant radius?
I think it does. Assuming that ##\dot ρ = 0##, the components of radial acceleration and gravitational acceleration tangent to the paraboloid surface must sum to zero. Try setting up that equation and you will get the result ##\dot{\theta}=\sqrt{2gb}##.

Related to Lagrangian for a particle in a bowl with parabolic curvature

1. What is the Lagrangian for a particle in a bowl with parabolic curvature?

The Lagrangian for a particle in a bowl with parabolic curvature is given by L = T - V, where T represents the kinetic energy of the particle and V represents the potential energy of the particle in the bowl. In this case, the potential energy can be described by a parabolic function.

2. How is the Lagrangian derived for a particle in a bowl with parabolic curvature?

The Lagrangian is derived using the principle of least action, which states that the motion of a particle will follow the path that minimizes the action (the integral of the Lagrangian over time). By varying the action with respect to the particle's position and velocity, the equations of motion can be obtained.

3. What are the equations of motion for a particle in a bowl with parabolic curvature?

The equations of motion for a particle in a bowl with parabolic curvature can be derived from the Lagrangian using the Euler-Lagrange equations. These equations describe the acceleration of the particle in terms of its position and velocity, and can be used to solve for the particle's trajectory.

4. How does the curvature of the bowl affect the particle's motion?

The curvature of the bowl affects the particle's motion by changing the shape of the potential energy function. A bowl with parabolic curvature will have a symmetrical potential energy function, resulting in a stable equilibrium point at the bottom of the bowl. This means that the particle will tend to stay at the bottom of the bowl unless acted upon by an external force.

5. Can the Lagrangian be used to study other systems besides a particle in a bowl with parabolic curvature?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be applied to a wide range of physical systems, including particles in various potential energy fields, as well as systems with multiple particles and interactions. It is a powerful tool in classical mechanics for describing the motion of particles and predicting their behavior.