Solving a Parabola Question: Help Appreciated

• Thread starter DethRose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, the student is trying to find the x-intercepts for the equation y=2(x-4)^2-3. They used the equation and ended up getting an odd number so they are not sure if it is correct. They compared the two equations and it is clear that p=4 and q=-3.
DethRose
Im In a 1st Year University math class and its been a while since i did this stuff and can't remember if I am doing this question right so any help would be much appreciated.

The question is to find all the info from the equation y=2(x-4)^2-3

I used the b+/- b^2 -4ac... equation and ended up getting 16+/- square root of 24/4.

This gives an odd number (5.22474, 2.77525) so i don't think it is right. When i apart the original equation to make into ax^2+bx+c=0 form i did 2(x^2-8x+16)-3=0 and i am not sure if that is correct either or if it should be multiplies without brackets.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
If your problem is to find the x-intercepts (roots of the quadratic), then you did it correctly

great thanks for the help!

was trying to graph this and isn't the vertex (-4,-3), so then how could those x intercepts be right since they are both on positive side of the x axis, and the vertex is in the negative side?

Because you didn't get the vertex right. It should be at the minimum value of y, right? x=-4 is not the minimum, try x=+4.

that makes sense i think there's a typo on the assignment then cause it says (p,q) are the coordinates of the vertex in the form of y=a(x-p)^2+q

and then it gives y=2(x-4)^2-3

Why would you think there is a typo? (p,q) is the vertex of y= a(x-p)2+ q because when x= p, y= a(p-p)2+ q= a(0)+ q= q while for any other value of x, x-p is non-zero, (x-p)2 is positive so y= a(x-p)2+q is q plus some positive number: (p, q) is the lowest point on the graph.

Comparing the general for m y= a(x-p)2+ q with y= 2(x-4)2-3 isn't it clear that p= 4 and q= -3?
(Notice that it is (x-p)2 and (x-4)2, not (x-(-4))2!)

Related to Solving a Parabola Question: Help Appreciated

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a type of curve that is shaped like a symmetrical "U". It is a conic section, meaning it is created by the intersection of a plane and a cone. In mathematics, it is commonly represented by the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c.

2. How do you solve a parabola question?

To solve a parabola question, you can use a variety of methods such as graphing, factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. The best method to use will depend on the specific question and the information given.

3. What is the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola is the point at which the curve reaches its maximum or minimum value. This point lies on the axis of symmetry, which is a vertical line that divides the parabola into two symmetrical halves.

4. How do you find the axis of symmetry of a parabola?

The axis of symmetry of a parabola can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are coefficients in the standard form of the parabola equation, y = ax^2 + bx + c. This formula gives the x-coordinate of the vertex, which is also the axis of symmetry.

5. What are some real-life applications of parabolas?

Parabolas have many real-life applications, such as in architecture, engineering, and physics. They are used to design bridges, arches, and other structures that can withstand heavy loads. They also play a role in calculating projectile motion, such as the trajectory of a thrown ball or the path of a rocket. In addition, parabolas are used in satellite dishes and reflectors to focus and direct signals and light.