Solve Word Problem w/ Matrices: Chapter I

• MHB
  • Thread starter megacat8921
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, to obtain 100 liters of solution, we need 60 liters of the 50% solution and 20 liters of the 20% solution.
megacat8921
I have a word problem that I am struggling with. I have been using matrices in this chapter, but I don't understand how it applies or where to start in order to solve this equation. Here is the word problem:

One hundred liters of a 50% solution is obtained by mixing a 60% solution with a 20% solution. How many liters of each solution must be used to obtain the desired mixture?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would let $x$ represent the amount (in liters) of the 60% solution needed, and $y$ be the number of liters of the 20% solution required. Since the final desired outcome is 100 liters of solution, we know:

\(\displaystyle x+y=100\)

We also know that we will need in the final solution 50L of the active ingredient, $0.6x$ coming from the 60% solution and $0.2y$ coming from the 20% solution, then we also have:

\(\displaystyle 0.6x+0.2y=50\)

or:

\(\displaystyle 3x+y=250\)

So, we can set up our matrix equation as follows:

\(\displaystyle \left[\begin{array}{c}1 & 1 \\ 3 & 1 \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c}x \\ y \end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}100 \\ 250 \end{array}\right]\)

Can you proceed?

I can proceed. But I don't understand how .6x and .2y became 3 and 1.

MarkFL said:
I would let $x$ represent the amount (in liters) of the 60% solution needed, and $y$ be the number of liters of the 20% solution required. Since the final desired outcome is 100 liters of solution, we know:

\(\displaystyle x+y=100\)

We also know that we will need in the final solution 50L of the active ingredient, $0.6x$ coming from the 60% solution and $0.2y$ coming from the 20% solution, then we also have:

\(\displaystyle 0.6x+0.2y=50\)

or:

\(\displaystyle 3x+y=250\)

So, we can set up our matrix equation as follows:

\(\displaystyle \left[\begin{array}{c}1 & 1 \\ 3 & 1 \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c}x \\ y \end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{c}100 \\ 250 \end{array}\right]\)

Can you proceed?

megacat8921 said:
I can proceed. But I don't understand how .6x and .2y became 3 and 1.

I multiplied the equation by 5 so that all coefficients are integers. :D

Related to Solve Word Problem w/ Matrices: Chapter I

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to represent and manipulate data.

2. How do you solve a word problem with matrices?

To solve a word problem with matrices, you need to first identify the relevant information and variables in the problem. Then, you can set up a matrix equation by assigning variables to the rows and columns of the matrix and filling in the known values. Finally, use matrix operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication, to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What types of word problems can be solved with matrices?

Matrices can be used to solve a wide range of word problems, including those involving systems of equations, optimization, and transformations. They are particularly useful in problems involving multiple variables and data sets.

4. Is there a specific order in solving a word problem with matrices?

Yes, there is a specific order in solving a word problem with matrices. First, you need to identify the variables and set up a matrix equation. Then, you can use matrix operations to solve for the unknown variables. Finally, check your solution by plugging in the values to the original problem.

5. Are there any tips for solving word problems with matrices?

Yes, here are some tips for solving word problems with matrices:

• Read the problem carefully and identify the relevant information and variables.
  • Draw a diagram or visualize the problem to help you understand it better.
  • Set up a matrix equation and use matrix operations to solve for the unknown variables.
  • Check your solution by plugging in the values to the original problem.
  • Practice solving different types of word problems with matrices to improve your skills.