Solving a Matrix Problem on IGCSE Past Paper: Part B

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with matrices in a past paper for an IGCSE course. The problem involves finding the value of $t$ in the equation $[M]^{-1} \cdot [M] = [I]$, where $[M]$ is a 2x2 matrix. The solution involves multiplying the matrices and setting each corresponding element in the product equal to the elements in the identity matrix. The individual is encouraged to attempt solving the problem themselves.
Funfinder15
I have been teaching myself matrices for my IGCSE course and I ran into a problem in a past paper which I have no clue how to solve. The problem is part b of the attached image. Thanks for your help in advance.View attachment 9518

Attachments

• 7DC882A4-F42A-40EC-A86F-D47A7F15D746.jpeg
    7DC882A4-F42A-40EC-A86F-D47A7F15D746.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 51
Mathematics news on Phys.org
$[M]^{-1} \cdot [M] = $

$\begin{bmatrix}
-5t & 6\\
t & -t
\end{bmatrix}
\cdot
\begin{bmatrix}
t & 6\\
t & 5t
\end{bmatrix}=
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}$

Multiply $[M]^{-1} \cdot [M]$ , then set each corresponding element in the product equal to the elements in the identity matrix to get the desired equation in $t$.

Give it a go and see how you do ...

Related to Solving a Matrix Problem on IGCSE Past Paper: Part B

What is a matrix problem?

A matrix problem is a mathematical problem that involves using a rectangular array of numbers, called a matrix, to represent and solve a system of equations or perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and finding inverses.

How do I solve a matrix problem on an IGCSE past paper?

To solve a matrix problem on an IGCSE past paper, you should first identify the given matrices and the operation required. Then, use the appropriate method to perform the operation and follow the steps carefully to arrive at the correct solution.

What are the common types of matrix problems on IGCSE past papers?

The common types of matrix problems on IGCSE past papers include finding the sum, difference, or product of two matrices, finding the inverse of a matrix, solving a system of equations using matrices, and finding the determinant of a matrix.

What are some tips for solving matrix problems on IGCSE past papers?

Some tips for solving matrix problems on IGCSE past papers include carefully reading and understanding the given information, using the correct notation and methods, checking your calculations, and practicing with past papers to familiarize yourself with the types of questions asked.

How can I improve my skills in solving matrix problems on IGCSE past papers?

You can improve your skills in solving matrix problems on IGCSE past papers by regularly practicing with past papers, seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed, and reviewing the fundamentals of matrices and matrix operations. It is also helpful to work on similar problems from textbooks or online resources.