Algebra word problem solve for x

In summary, the word problem asks for the price of a can of tomato sauce based on the given information that Jason and Gina each purchased a can of tomato sauce and a different amount of apples at a different total cost. By setting up equations to represent the total cost for each purchase, we can solve for the price of a pound of apples and then use that value to find the price of the tomato sauce.
Kiwiman
Help me solve this word problem please & explain how you did it-thanks so much, I 'm tearing my hair out.

Jason purchased a can of tomato sauce and three pounds of apples for $\$7.05$. Gina purchased a can of tomato sauce and 5 pounds of apples for $\$11.35$. What is the price of the tomato sauce?

Attachments

• mhb_toolbar.png
    mhb_toolbar.png
    3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Kiwiman! Welcome to MHB!

First, we let $T$ to represent the price of a can of tomato sauce and $A$ to represent the price of one pound of apples.

The first statement of the problem can be translated into a mathematical equation, which is

$T+3A=\$ 7.05$

and the second statement of the problem can be translated into another mathematical equation, i.e.

$T+5A=\$ 11.35$

If we subtract the second equation from the first equation, we get

$T+5A-(T+3A)=\$ 11.35-\$ 7.05\\T+5A-T-3A=\$ 4.30\\2A=\$ 4.30 \\A=\$ 2.15$

Once we get the value of $A$, can you tell me what should we do to find the value of $T$?

Do you understand that "helping you solve a problem" and "explaining how I solved the problem" are completely different things?

50/50 we hear back from this user. Would love to be proven wrong. I hope this teasing gets a reply.

Why do you want an answer so badly, @Kiwiman ? Wouldn't you prefer to know how to do it from now on feel more confident about math? :)

Kiwiman said:
Help me solve this word problem please & explain how you did it-thanks so much, I 'm tearing my hair out.

Jason purchased a can of tomato sauce and three pounds of apples for $\$7.05$. Gina purchased a can of tomato sauce and 5 pounds of apples for $\$11.35$. What is the price of the tomato sauce?
Let T be the cost of a can of tomato sauce and A the cost of a pound of apples. Then "a can of tomato sauce and 5 pounds of apples" cost T+ 5A= 11.35 and "a can of tomato sauce and 3 pounds of apples" cost T+ 3A= 7.05.

Solve the two equations
T+ 5A= 11.35
T+ 3A= 7.05

I wonder what they intend to make with tomato sauce and apples!

Related to Algebra word problem solve for x

1. How do I set up an algebra word problem to solve for x?

To set up an algebra word problem to solve for x, you first need to identify the unknown variable (x) and any other known values in the problem. Then, use the given information to create an equation or system of equations that represents the problem. Finally, use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms, distributing, and isolating the variable to solve for x.

2. What are some common strategies for solving algebra word problems?

Some common strategies for solving algebra word problems include translating words into mathematical expressions or equations, creating a table or chart to organize information, and using guess and check or trial and error methods. It is also helpful to check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem.

3. How do I know which algebraic technique to use when solving for x?

The algebraic technique you use to solve for x will depend on the specific problem and the given information. For example, if the problem involves combining like terms, you may need to use the distributive property or the commutative and associative properties. If the problem involves fractions, you may need to use the least common denominator or cross-multiplication. It is important to carefully read and analyze the problem to determine the best approach.

4. What are some tips for avoiding common mistakes when solving algebra word problems?

Some tips for avoiding common mistakes when solving algebra word problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, double-checking your work, and using proper notation and order of operations. It is also important to clearly label your variables and show all steps in your solution.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving algebra word problems?

To improve your skills in solving algebra word problems, practice is key. Start by reviewing basic algebraic concepts and techniques, and then gradually work your way up to more complex problems. It can also be helpful to work with a tutor or study group, and to regularly check your progress by solving practice problems and seeking feedback on your solutions.