Solve Water Balloon Lab Homework

In summary: We can solve for v and that might give us a better handle on the problem.In summary, the lab involves firing a water balloon over a 3 meter high fence towards a target 20 meters away. The angle and stretching distance needed to achieve this can vary, but assuming a horizontal distance of 24 meters, the equation to solve for velocity is .5(336.4)(x^2) + 24(336.4)(x) = .5(.25)v^2. However, the amount of energy needed and the height of the balloon when launched should also be taken into consideration.
AStupidHippo

Homework Statement

"In part 2 of the lab you will be firing a water balloon over a tall fence, aiming to hit a target." The fence is 3 meters high. You may fire the balloon from anywhere behind the fence, up to 4 meters away from it: the target will be 20 meters away. Find the angle to shoot the balloon and the stretching distance. There are multiple correct answers.
horizontal distance=s = 20 to 24 meters
mass= .25kg
Spring constant= k= 336.4
spring stretching distance= x = 0 to 25 centimeters
theta=?

Homework Equations

PE + W = KE
PE=.5k x^2
w = Fk * s
Fk = k*x
KE= .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

Assuming we use all 24 meters
.5(336.4)(x^2) + 24(336.4)(x) = .5(.25)v^2
v= sqrt(2691.2((x^2)/2)+24x)

We're lost after this. Even plugging in a value for x gives us a very large velocity.
For example plugging x=.2 gives a velocity of ~113 m/s. This doesn't seem realistic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I don't have a lot of time. My ride will be here in minutes.

If I was going to work this problem, I would be wondering how much energy would be needed to get the balloon over the fence and to the target. Obviously, if I am extremely close to the fence when I launch, the balloon will have to go extremely high. You may not have that much energy. All of that energy has to come from the launching device. How high is the balloon when it is launched? Can you place the launching device as high as you want or does it have to be at ground level? (I assume it is the latter.) What is the height of the balloon when it is released from the launching device? Will the launching device provide enough energy at the horizontal position I selected. (I think 24 meters may be a good choice.)

I think you ought to take a second look at the equation you wrote.

Related to Solve Water Balloon Lab Homework

1. How do I calculate the volume of a water balloon?

To calculate the volume of a water balloon, you will need to measure its diameter using a ruler or caliper. Then, use the formula for the volume of a sphere: V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius (half of the diameter). Plug in the measured radius and solve for the volume in cubic centimeters (cm^3) or milliliters (mL).

2. How can I accurately measure the mass of a water balloon?

The best way to measure the mass of a water balloon is by using a scale. Place a container on the scale and tare it to zero. Then, carefully place the water balloon in the container and record the mass in grams (g) or kilograms (kg). Be sure to subtract the mass of the container from the total mass to get the accurate mass of the water balloon.

3. What is the purpose of completing a water balloon lab?

The purpose of a water balloon lab is to learn about the properties of water and the principles of volume and mass. By measuring the volume and mass of a water balloon, you can also practice using scientific tools and conducting experiments to gather data and draw conclusions.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy and precision of my water balloon lab results?

To ensure accuracy and precision, it is important to carefully measure and record all data points, use proper units, and repeat the experiment multiple times to reduce errors. You can also compare your results with others in the class to identify any discrepancies and discuss possible sources of error.

5. What are some potential sources of error in a water balloon lab?

Some potential sources of error in a water balloon lab include inaccuracies in measuring tools, variations in the size and shape of water balloons, evaporation of water, and human error in recording data. It is important to identify and address these sources of error in order to improve the accuracy and reliability of the results.