Where did the water balloon fall?

In summary, A boy on top of a 12 m tall building throws a water balloon horizontally at 30 mi/h, aimed at the balconies of an apartment building 18 m away. After converting to m/s and using the equations t=x/v and y=y0+v0t+1/2 a(t^2), it was determined that the water balloon hit the second floor of the apartment building, falling for 1.38 seconds and dropping 8.8 meters.
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

A boy is on top of a 12 m tall building. He throws a water balloon horizontally, releasing it at a height of 1 m above the top of the building. The water balloon is thrown at 30 mi/h and is aimed at the balconies of an apartment building across the street, 18 m away horizontally. If each story of the apartment building is 3 m high, which balcony gets hit by the water balloon, 1st, 2nd,3rd or 4th floor?

Homework Equations

t=x/v
y=y0+v0t1/2 a(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to convert the mi/h to m/s and got 80.3 m/s. I used t=x/v to get my time:

t=x/v
t=18/80.3
t=0.22 s

The time seems reasonable enough.

Then I tried using y=y0+v0t+1/2 a(t^2) to find how far down the balloon fell.

y=y0+v0t+1/2a(t^2)
1/2 a(t^2)
y=0+0+1/2 a(t^2)
y=1/2a(t^2)
y=1/2(9.8)(0.22^2)
y=1/2(9.8)(0.0484)
y=0.24 m

Something seems off, but I can't place it. If this answer is right, does that mean it will land on the 4th(top) floor of the building?

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Try your conversion of 30 mi/hr to m/s again. 80.3 m/s is a very fast clip.

Hm, I thought so. 30 mi=48280.3 m. OH, I see. I calculated to m/min. I need to divide by 60 again, correct? So 1.3 m/s.

1.3 m/s is a casual strolling speed. You need to set up your calculations in an organized fashion and not try to 'shoot from the hip'. It's not clear where 80.3 m/s came from originally.

I didn't think about it that way. Hmm. Okay, so 30 mi/h=48280.3 m/h. Line up the unit conversion so that the hours cancel out. 48280/3600 s=13 m/s. That seems right, finally.

Is the time right?

I'm getting 9.3 meters, which would put it at the second (next to bottom) floor. Feel free to confirm or correct the answer! :)

13.4 m/s hits in 1.34s after dropping 8.8m (from 13m start).
avoid round-offs (especially for things that get squared, like t here), by using the value in the calculator display register.

Ah, I see. I used 1.38 seconds. Now I'm getting 8.8 as well. So this should put the balloon at the third (from bottom) floor, correct?

Thanks again!

This post is only here because I couldn't delete it.

Last edited:
huh? 13m - 8.8m = ? 1st floor 0 to 3m, 2nd floor 3m to 6m, 3rd floor 6m to 9m, 4th floor 9m to 12m ... right?

4.2 m. Correct, I don't think I'm thinking about the diagram correctly. It would actually be the second floor, right?

Related to Where did the water balloon fall?

1. Where did the water balloon fall?

The water balloon fell to the ground.

2. How did the water balloon fall?

The water balloon fell due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground.

3. What factors can affect where the water balloon falls?

The factors that can affect where the water balloon falls include the height from which it is dropped, the wind speed and direction, and any obstacles in its path.

4. Can the location of where the water balloon falls be predicted?

Yes, the location can be predicted using mathematical equations that take into account the initial height, velocity, wind speed, and other variables.

5. How can the location of where the water balloon falls be determined?

The location can be determined by measuring the distance from the point of release to where the balloon lands, using tools such as measuring tape or a ruler.