Conservation of energy with a rocket disagreement

In summary, there is a disagreement between Snakeish and their teacher on how to solve a problem involving a 1Kg rocket fired with a thrust of 18 Newtons for 20 meters. Both agree that the work done by the engine must be found first, which is 360 joules. However, they differ on whether this should be set equal to the rocket's potential energy (PE) or kinetic energy (KE). Snakeish believes that energy would not be conserved if set equal to PE, and suggests adding the PE at 20 meters to the KE at 20 meters to find the maximum PE of the rocket. On the other hand, the teacher believes that energy would be conserved if set equal to PE, resulting
Snakeish

Homework Statement

A 1Kg rocket is fired off. The engine provides a thrust of 18 Newtons for 20 meters. What is the maximum height achieved by the rocket? Assume no loss of mass and no friction. Gravity=9.8m/s^2

Homework Equations

Work=Force x distance
Force=Mass x acceleration(or gravity)
Potential gravitational energy(PE)=Mass x Gravity x Height
Kinetic energy(KE)=(1/2) x Mass x Velocity^2I have a disagreement with my teacher on how to correctly solve this type of problem. Both of us agree that I need to find the work done by the engine of the rocket during the first 20 meters of flight first (W= 18N*20m=360 joules). After this is where my teacher and I begin to differ. My teacher says that I need to then set the work done by the engine = to the maximum PE of the rocket and solve for the height(W=PE so maximum height= W of engine / (Mass x Gravity) = 360/(1*9.8)= 36.7 joules). I believe that in this solution energy is not conserved.

From what I understand, since the rocket only stops accelerating at 20 meters, the work of the engine up to this point should be set = to its KE. This gives you a KE 360 joules. The rockets PE, if measured from the highest point of its flight down to 20 meters, is 360 joules. This value does not account for the 20 meters before the rocket begins to be decelerate from gravity when it is still accelerating therefore you must find the PE of the rocket at 20 meters (9.8m/s^2 * 20m * 1Kg = 196 joules) and add that onto the KE at 20 meters in order to have the maximum PE for the rocket (556 joules) since it will convert that KE into PE in a 1:1 rate. Using this value for PE you get a maximum of 56.7 meters.

Which of us is right with this? Is my logic sound in this matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Snakeish said:
18 Newtons for 20 meters.
Snakeish said:
Is my logic sound in this matter?
What's the net force acting on the rocket?

The 18 Newtons is assumed to have already accounted for gravity in my textbook so is the net force acting on the rocket during the first 20 meters.

Snakeish said:
The 18 Newtons is assumed to have already accounted for gravity in my textbook so is the net force acting on the rocket during the first 20 meters.

It appears to boil down to the interpretation of the "thrust". If the thrust is the force that the rocket receives from the engine alone, then your teacher is correct. If the thrust is the net force on the rocket (engine + gravity) then you are correct.

I believe the usual interpretation of thrust is the force of the engine only. Thus, if the engine were adjusted so that the rocket hovers at rest above the earth, then I think most people would say the magnitude of the thrust of the rocket equals the magnitude of the force of gravity rather than saying the thrust is zero.

Thank you for the help.

It simply is not true that "since the rocket only stops accelerating at 20 meters, the work of the engine up to this point should be set = to its KE." Gravity also does work over the 20 m distance.

The best way to look at this is to forget mechanical energy conservation and use the (more general) work-kinetic energy theorem, WNet = ΔK. Here WNet = WEngine+WGravity = F*d - mghmax and ΔK = 0.

This results in the teacher's solution.

kuruman said:
It simply is not true that "since the rocket only stops accelerating at 20 meters, the work of the engine up to this point should be set = to its KE." Gravity also does work over the 20 m distance.

Right, the rocket doesn't stop accelerating when the engine shuts off.

According to post #3, Snakeish says that the the 18 N "thrust" is the net force on the rocket (engine force + gravity force). That's an odd interpretation of "thrust", but if that's what the 18 N is meant to denote, then the work done by the 18 N force would equal the KE of the rocket at the point the rocket shuts off. This would lead to Snakeish's answer.

But I'm with you, kuruman. The teacher's answer corresponds to the more natural interpretation of the 18 N force.

Related to Conservation of energy with a rocket disagreement

1. What is the conservation of energy principle?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This principle is a fundamental law of physics and applies to all systems, including rockets.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to rockets?

In a rocket, energy is initially stored as chemical energy in the fuel. As the fuel is burned, it is transformed into thermal energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy to propel the rocket forward. This process follows the conservation of energy principle, as no energy is created or destroyed, but rather transformed into different forms.

3. What is the disagreement surrounding the conservation of energy with rockets?

Some people argue that the conservation of energy principle does not apply to rockets because they seem to violate the law by producing thrust without any apparent external force. However, this is a misconception as the thrust is a result of the transformation of stored energy in the fuel, following the conservation of energy principle.

4. Is the conservation of energy principle always applicable to rockets?

Yes, the conservation of energy principle is always applicable to rockets. However, in some cases, external factors such as air resistance and gravity may affect the amount of energy required for a rocket to reach its desired destination, making it seem as though the principle is not being followed. But ultimately, the energy conservation principle remains valid.

5. How does the conservation of energy affect the efficiency of a rocket?

The conservation of energy plays a crucial role in the efficiency of a rocket. Any energy that is not transformed into kinetic energy is lost to other forms, such as heat or sound, resulting in a decrease in efficiency. Therefore, rocket designers must consider the conservation of energy principle to ensure that their rockets are as efficient as possible.