Solve the probability without replacement problem

In summary, the conversation is about a question in a question paper that involves using a tree diagram and combinations to solve a problem. The mark scheme provides a solution, but the individual is looking for other approaches to challenge themselves. The suggested approach is to use combinations, specifically ##\frac {12C_2 ×18C_2}{30C_4}, ## to calculate the number of different possible unordered selections of four biscuits from 1-30.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached.
Relevant Equations
understanding of probability concept.
My interest is solely on question ##6.V## only. This is the question paper;

1635772780487.png

This is my working to solution; I was able to use tree diagram in this question.

1635773176315.png
This is the mark scheme:

1635772822402.png

I would appreciate other ways of tackling the problem. Cheers! :cool:

Attachments

• 1635772577012.png
    1635772577012.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 1635772653273.png
    1635772653273.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than writing out the tree of all possible outcomes, use combinations.

Imagine the biscuits are numbered 1 to 30, with 1-12 wrapped and the others not.

The answer is N / M where
- N is the number of different possible unordered selections of four with two from 1-12 and two from 13-30
- M is the number of different possible unordered selections of four different biscuits from 1-30

Express M as a combination ##{}_nC_k## and get its value.

Express N as K x L where:
- K is the number of different possible unordered selections of two different biscuits from 1-12
- L is the number of different possible unordered selections of two different biscuits from 13-30

Express K and L as combinations and get their values.

Then you can calculate N, and the n get the answer.

That is the approach set out in your last photo, after the "OR"

Likes chwala
andrewkirk said:
Rather than writing out the tree of all possible outcomes, use combinations.

Imagine the biscuits are numbered 1 to 30, with 1-12 wrapped and the others not.

The answer is N / M where
- N is the number of different possible unordered selections of four with two from 1-12 and two from 13-30
- M is the number of different possible unordered selections of four different biscuits from 1-30

Express M as a combination ##{}_nC_k## and get its value.

Express N as K x L where:
- K is the number of different possible unordered selections of two different biscuits from 1-12
- L is the number of different possible unordered selections of two different biscuits from 13-30

Express K and L as combinations and get their values.

Then you can calculate N, and the n get the answer.

That is the approach set out in your last photo, after the "OR"
Yes, i am conversant with the combination approach... of course I already looked at it (the marks scheme) before posting this problem, ...i wanted to challenge myself and use a different approach and not just limit myself to the mark scheme. Cheers and thanks Andrewkirk...

the approach of,
##\frac {12C_2 ×18C_2}{30C_4}, ## is more appropriate...

Related to Solve the probability without replacement problem

1. What is a probability without replacement problem?

A probability without replacement problem is a type of probability question where the outcome of one event affects the probability of the next event. This means that once an item is selected or removed from a group, it cannot be selected or replaced again for the next event.

2. How do you solve a probability without replacement problem?

To solve a probability without replacement problem, you need to first determine the total number of items in the group and the number of items being selected. Then, for each event, you need to adjust the probability based on the previous outcomes. You can use a tree diagram or the formula P(A and B) = P(A) x P(B|A) to calculate the probability.

3. What is the difference between probability with and without replacement?

The main difference between probability with and without replacement is that with replacement, the selected item is put back into the group before the next event, while without replacement, the selected item is not returned. This affects the probability of the next event, as the number of items in the group changes.

4. Can you provide an example of a probability without replacement problem?

Sure, let's say you have a bag with 10 marbles - 5 red and 5 blue. You randomly select one marble, note its color, and then put it back in the bag. You then select another marble. What is the probability of selecting a red marble on the second draw? In this case, the probability would be 5/10 or 50%, as the probability of selecting a red marble on the first draw was also 5/10.

5. What are some real-life applications of probability without replacement?

Probability without replacement is commonly used in situations where the outcome of one event affects the probability of the next event, such as in card games or in genetics, where the probability of inheriting certain traits from parents is affected by previous outcomes. It is also used in quality control processes, where a sample is taken from a batch and the probability of selecting a defective item affects the probability of finding another defective item in the next sample.