Solve the P6 Counting Problem: Unlock 10*365 Password Combinations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding all combinations of a 6-character password that satisfies certain criteria. The password must contain at least one digit and each character can be a digit or uppercase letter. The conversation then discusses breaking down the combinations into "sub categories" and calculating the total number of choices for the entire password. Finally, there is a question about counting extra passwords and determining the number of passwords that satisfy the criteria but not the restriction of having at least one digit.
Miike012
Im trying to find all combinations of P6. Book solution in paint doc.

My solution: Please tell me where I am going wrong.

P6: Password of 6 characters
1. Each password must contain at least one digit,
2. Each character of password can be a digit or uppercase letter.

Let P61 be defined as follows. Ci is the ith character of P61, i = 1,...,6

Let C1 be a digit then the following characters can be a digit or uppercase letter.
C1 has 10 choices and Ci has 36 choices for i = 2,..,6.

Therefore the password defined by P61, which was defined by restricting C1 to be a digit, has a total of 10*365 choices.

I will do the same for P6i, i = 2,...6, where the ith character is a digit.

All passwords P6i i = 1,2,3,4,5,6 will look like the following:
Let D represent the character that is a digit and DL represent the character that is a digit or uppercase letter.

P61 P62 ... P66
1.D 1.DL 1.DL
2.DL 2.D 2.DL
3.DL 3.DL 3.DL
4.DL 4.DL 4.DL
5.DL 5.DL 5.DL
6.DL 6.DL 6.D

Hence you can see that there are 6 total different "sub catagories" of P6 and there must be 10*365 choices per sub catagoy.
Therefore total choices for P6
Ʃ(Number of choices for P6i) i = 1,...,6
= Ʃ(10*365) i = 1,...,6
= 6*10*365

What am I counting extra of?

Attachments

• Count.jpg
    Count.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
deleted

A password like 11XXXX will appear in group 1 and group 2.

How many passwords satisfy (2). How many of those do not satisfy (1)?

Related to Solve the P6 Counting Problem: Unlock 10*365 Password Combinations

What is the "P6 Counting Problem"?

The P6 Counting Problem refers to the challenge of finding a way to efficiently count and generate all possible combinations of a set of elements. In the context of unlocking a password, this means trying every possible combination of characters to find the correct password.

Why is "Solve the P6 Counting Problem" important?

Being able to efficiently solve the P6 Counting Problem is crucial in many areas such as cryptography, computer science, and security. In the context of unlocking a password, it allows for an effective and secure way to protect sensitive information.

What is the "10*365 Password Combinations" in this problem?

The 10*365 password combinations refer to the total number of possible combinations of characters that can be used in a password. In this case, it is assumed that the password is made up of 10 characters, and each character can be one of 365 different options (e.g. letters, numbers, symbols).

How can the P6 Counting Problem be solved?

The P6 Counting Problem can be solved using various mathematical and computational methods. One approach is to use a brute force method, which involves systematically trying every possible combination until the correct one is found. Another approach is to use algorithms and data structures such as permutations and combinations to reduce the number of combinations that need to be checked.

Is there a way to speed up the process of solving the P6 Counting Problem?

Yes, there are techniques that can be used to speed up the process of solving the P6 Counting Problem. These include using efficient algorithms and data structures, parallel processing, and optimizing the search space. Additionally, using a strong and unique password can also significantly decrease the time it takes to solve the problem.