A password with 8 characters, consisting of Upper case/Lower Case &0-9

• Thread starter laura_a
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a question regarding the number of possible passwords consisting of 8 characters from uppercase letters, lowercase letters, and digits. The individual was unsure of the correct solution and presented multiple equations and attempts at solving the problem. There was also a discussion about the interpretation of the question and whether the minimum or actual amount of characters from each category was required.
laura_a

Homework Statement

I am a helping out a friend who is studying Maths at uni, not much help really because I did my degree 10 years ago. I am stuck on a question I was hoping for someone help with the working out:

A password consist of 8 characters from Uppercase letters, U, lowercase letters L and Digits 0-9, D.

How many passwords consist of at least one character from U,L & D

I interpreted this question that it would have to inlcude ULD in the password.

Anyway I know there are more cases but I think this is wrong anyway - any suggestions will be appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

7 D + 1 U/L = 10^7 x 52 x 8c1
7 U + 1 D/L = 26^7 x 36 x 8c1
7 L + + 1 D/U = 26^7 x 36 x 8c2
6 D + 2U = 10^6 X 26^2 x 8c2
6 D + 2L = 10^6 X 26^2 x 8c2
6 U + 2D = 26^6 x 10^2 x 8c2 x 2(for L)
6 U + 2L = 26^6 x 26^2 x 8c2

Then 1 - (the answer above) is 1.9983 x 10^14

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm ... how about, for example, 4D + 2L + 2U? Does that not meet the criteria? In other words, I think you have specified the MINIMUM amount, not the actual amount.

Also, with your interpretation of one each, I don't see how 6D + 2U, for example, would meet the criteria.

I though that 6D + 2U would suit because then I am taking the answer away from 1 so I actually want the opposite of 6D+2U ?

Related to A password with 8 characters, consisting of Upper case/Lower Case &0-9

1. How strong is a password with 8 characters?

A password with 8 characters, consisting of upper case and lower case letters, as well as numbers, is considered to be moderately strong. However, the strength of a password also depends on the complexity of the characters used and if it includes special characters.

2. Is it safe to use a password with only 8 characters?

While a password with 8 characters can be considered moderately strong, it is generally recommended to use longer passwords for increased security. A longer password makes it harder for hackers to guess or crack it through brute force attacks.

3. Can I use the same password with 8 characters for multiple accounts?

It is not recommended to use the same password for multiple accounts, even if it is 8 characters long. If one account gets hacked, all other accounts using the same password will also be vulnerable. It is better to use a unique password for each account.

4. How do I make a strong password with 8 characters?

To make a strong password with only 8 characters, it is important to use a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters. You can also use the first letter of each word in a memorable phrase or sentence to create a strong password.

5. Should I change my password with 8 characters regularly?

Yes, it is recommended to change your password regularly, regardless of the length. This helps to prevent hackers from accessing your account if they have somehow obtained your password. It is also important to change your password immediately if you suspect it has been compromised.