Question about two different combination problems

Did you make the same typo every time?I also understand 2 D nowGreat! Note that your answer in the other thread was wrong (now deleted).
leo255
Thread moved from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown.
  1. Find the number of subsets of S = {1,2,3,...,10} that contain

(a) the number 5.
    (b) neither 5 nor 6.
  2. (c) both 5 and 6.
  3. (d) no odd numbers.
  4. e) exactly three elements.
  5. (f) exactly three elements, all of them even.
  6. (g) exactly five elements, including 3 or 4 but not both. (h) exactly five elements, but neither 3 nor 4.
  7. (i) exactly five elements, the sum of which is even.

1. 2. Let A be the set of all strings of decimal digits of length seven. For example 0031227 and 1948301 are strings in A.
  2. (a) Find |A|.
  3. (b) How many strings in A begin with 1237 (in this order)?
  4. (c) How many strings in A have exactly one 3?
  5. (d) How many strings in A have exactly three 3s?
First of all, sorry about the numbers - the page seems to add numbers when I just want to get to a new line.

So, I'm trying to figure out the difference between what these two questions are asking (I am studying for a final next week).

I know that the answer to the first question is 10^9 and 10^7, respectively.

The answer to part b and c for the first question is 10^8. For c in the 2nd question, I would assume that the answer would be 10^6, but that is wrong. The answer is 7*(9^6). Also, for part d, the answer is C(7, 3) * 9^4, and I don't quite see how that is gotten.

Thanks for looking.

Physics news on Phys.org
leo255 said:
I know that the answer to the first question is 10^9 and 10^7, respectively.
10^9 is not the answer to any question, and I'm not sure what "first question" means as you have two problems with multiple subquestions. Mixing the two doesn't help.
leo255 said:
The answer to part b and c for the first question is 10^8.
It is not.

Can you list some example subsets? I think you misinterpret question 1.
leo255 said:
For c in the 2nd question, I would assume that the answer would be 10^6, but that is wrong.
Why do you assume this?
leo255 said:
Also, for part d, the answer is C(7, 3) * 9^4, and I don't quite see how that is gotten.
The "3"s have to be somewhere. How many options do you have to fix their positions? What about the digits in the other 4 positions?

leo255 said:
I know that the answer to the first question is 10^9 and 10^7, respectively
I assume you are referring to 1a and 2a (see below). As mfb wrote, these are wrong. Did you make the same typo consistently?
Here's what I presume to be the right numbering:
1. Find the number of subsets of S = {1,2,3,...,10} that contain
(a) the number 5.
(b) neither 5 nor 6.
(c) both 5 and 6.
(d) no odd numbers.
(e) exactly three elements.
(f) exactly three elements, all of them even.
(g) exactly five elements, including 3 or 4 but not both.
(h) exactly five elements, but neither 3 nor 4.
(i) exactly five elements, the sum of which is even.​

2. Let A be the set of all strings of decimal digits of length seven. For example 0031227 and 1948301 are strings in A.
(a) Find |A|.
(b) How many strings in A begin with 1237 (in this order)?
(c) How many strings in A have exactly one 3?
(d) How many strings in A have exactly three 3s?​

leo255 said:
For c in the 2nd question, I would assume that the answer would be 10^6, but that is wrong. The answer is 7*(9^6).
In how many places can the 3 appear?

@haruspex, thanks for cleaning up my numbering/lettering.

Yeah, my mistake - I meant b and c of #1 are 10^8.

Regarding 2 C, I think I see what is being asked. There are 7 different places the 3 could appear, and then after that, the rest of the 6 spots have nine available choices for numbers (everything besides the number 3). So, that would explain the 7 * 9^6. I also understand 2 D now.

leo255 said:
I meant b and c of #1 are 10^8
No, none of the answers are any power of 10. (Assuming that's 10 as in "ten", not some other base.)

Related to Question about two different combination problems

1. What is the difference between a combination and a permutation?

A combination is a selection of objects where the order does not matter. On the other hand, a permutation is a selection where the order does matter. For example, choosing three different toppings on a pizza is a combination, while choosing first, second, and third place in a race is a permutation.

2. How do I know if I need to use a combination or a permutation in a problem?

This depends on the problem and what you are trying to find. If you are interested in the number of ways to choose a group of objects without considering the order, then you would use a combination. If the order matters, then you would use a permutation.

3. What is the formula for calculating combinations?

The formula for calculating combinations is nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n represents the total number of objects and r represents the number of objects being chosen.

4. Can you give an example of a combination problem?

Sure! Let's say you have 6 different flavors of ice cream and you want to choose 3 flavors for a sundae. The number of possible combinations would be 6C3 = 20. This means there are 20 different ways to choose 3 flavors from 6 options without considering the order.

5. How do I solve a combination problem with repetition?

If repetition is allowed, then you would use the formula n+r-1Cr, where n represents the number of objects and r represents the number of times an object can be chosen. For example, if you have 3 different colors of M&M's and you want to choose 5, with repetition allowed, the formula would be 3+5-1C5 = 21C5 = 56. This means there are 56 ways to choose 5 M&M's from 3 different colors with repetition allowed.