Solve the Math Puzzle: Help a High School Grad Integrate x!

• Thread starter abia ubong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary, the conversation involves a high school graduate seeking help with integrating x! which is a function that goes from integers to integers. However, it is explained that for something to be integrated, it needs to go from real numbers to real numbers. The conversation then delves into discussing the Gamma function as an alternative to the factorial at the integers and the challenges of integrating it. The conversation also touches on the difficulties of advanced math courses and the struggles of understanding certain topics. Finally, it is reiterated that the question of integrating x! does not make sense at the level the person is at and they are advised to look for a function from R to R that agrees with the factorial at the integers.
abia ubong
hey i need help with this as a high school grad ,and one people think happens 2 be a maths prodigy a junior student came once and asked me 2 help him integrate x! i could not give a solution ,now pls can anyone help with this puzzle?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What makes you think x! is even a function of a real variable as opposed to one of integers? There is a function Gamma, that agrees with the factorial at the integers, why don't you look it up? The Gamma Function, see, eg, mathworld.

Integrating the Gamma function isn’t going to be fun.

And integrating anything is ever fun?

The integral of (fu)dn is, such that f and u are constants

Hmm, not my idea of fun, but then all of analysis that isn't trying to be algebra is dull.

matt grime said:
Hmm, not my idea of fun, but then all of analysis that isn't trying to be algebra is dull.
I love analysis, I used to love tricky integrals when I was first learning them as well :biggrin:

Give me any difficult maths challenge and I'll find some fun in it :!)

Evidently you've never sat through a seminar on improving an upper bound from k^2 to k^{1.9999999999} on an eigenvalue of some operator defined on some probably oddly shaped domain, delivered in Russo-English for the benefit of the three other Russian analysts in the room with the poor sodding post grads (who were all algebraists/geometers, if they're different) like me who, at the time, didn't think they should miss these kinds of things.

Last edited:
Even better when you consider the k^2 bound probably takes 15 lines or less to prove while the k^{1.9999999999} takes 15 pages. For 30 pages you can improve this to k^{1.9999999995}.

If something interesting happens at k^{3/2} the next 50 years will see hundreds of impenetrably dense technical pages that improve the bound to k^{1.893453} before someone with a new bright idea comes by and hammers out k^{3/2} on the back of a napkin.

JonF said:
The integral of (fu)dn is, such that f and u are constants
Not as fun as [tex]\frac{dx}{dn}=fu e^{-x}[/tex] such that f and u are constants. Although it seems more fun while you're doing it than when you're done.

matt grime said:
Evidently you've never sat through a seminar on improving an upper bound from k^2 to k^{1.9999999999} on an eigenvalue of some operator defined on some probably oddly shaped domain, delivered in Russo-English for the benefit of the three other Russian analysts in the room with the poor sodding post grads (who were all algebraists/geometers, if they're different) like me who, at the time, didn't think they should miss these kinds of things.

Had a bad semester, Matt?

matt grime said:
:smile:

Well, I assure you, I may not have had go through something quite so obscure but I've had my pains. I do remember sitting through 7 lectures on Euclid Algorithm, each one explaining no more than the last, in less than 2 weeks because the lecturers never bothered checking with each other what they were covering. I remember sitting through 5 lectures on the Taylor series without ever having ever come to a single example or how you generally derive them, after already previously encountering them thoroughly. The worst one at the moment is my "Advanced" Calculus lecture who knows clearly a lot less about the subject than I do and frequently makes mistakes that are on the level of a P.E high school teacher trying to teach it.

HallsofIvy said:
Had a bad semester, Matt?

Oh, not really, I always think that of analysis; do I need a special reason?

u all not helping i am a high school grad and u all talk of analysis related problems those are not helping ,c'mon u are here 2 help and be helped

abia ubong said:
u all not helping i am a high school grad and u all talk of analysis related problems those are not helping ,c'mon u are here 2 help and be helped
f(x)=x! is a function that goes from integers to integers. Generally for something to be integrated it needs to go from real numbers to real numbers, otherwise there is no area underneath it.

but i have been working on it thugh havenot gotten good result i was tryiong 2 find the general expansio of the factorial mean,but have not gotten it yuet if u can help give a general formula on how 2 expand generally ,i could get it.

For the third time, it makes no sense to talk of integrating x! at the level you're at. It is not a function from the Real line to the Real line. We told you that you need to give a function from R to R, which an be done, (in several, nay, infinitely many ways) that agrees with the factorial at the integers. So, you see, the question does not a priori make sense.

Related to Solve the Math Puzzle: Help a High School Grad Integrate x!

1. What is integration in mathematics?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve in a graph or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation, and it is used to solve a variety of problems in calculus and other mathematical fields.

2. How do I solve the math puzzle of integrating x?

To solve the math puzzle of integrating x, you will need to use the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function is equal to the difference between the values of the function at the upper and lower limits of integration. In this case, you will need to integrate the function f(x) = x with respect to x, and then evaluate it at the given limits.

3. What strategies can I use to solve this math puzzle?

Some strategies that can be used to solve this math puzzle include using the power rule, substitution, and integration by parts. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic algebra and trigonometry concepts to successfully solve this puzzle.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving this math puzzle?

One common mistake to avoid when solving this math puzzle is forgetting to add the constant of integration when integrating a function. It is also important to carefully check your calculations and make sure that you are using the correct integration methods for the given function.

5. Why is it important to know how to solve math puzzles like this?

Knowing how to solve math puzzles like this one is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in many areas of science and engineering. It also allows for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications in real-world scenarios.