Solve Solid of Revolution Homework: Area Enclosed by Ellipse & Auxiliary Circle

In summary, the area enclosed between the ellipse 4x^2+9y^2=36 and its auxiliary circle x^2+y^2=9 is rotated about the y-axis through \pi radians. The volume generated is 12pi.
Parthalan

Homework Statement

The area enclosed between the ellipse [itex]4x^2 + 9y^2 = 36[/itex] and its auxiliary circle [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 9[/itex] is rotated about the y-axis through [itex]\pi[/itex] radians. Find, by integration, the volume generated.

This is the whole question. I assume it means bounded by the x-axis, but even if this isn't the case, my answer is wrong. :(

Solution: [itex]12\pi[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]V = \int_a^b{A(y)\,dy}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]x^2 + y^2 = 9 \Rightarrow x^2 = 9 - y^2[/tex]

[tex]4x^2 + 9y^2 = 36 \Rightarrow x^2 = \frac{36-9y^2}{4}[/tex]

[tex]A(y) = \pi \left [ \left ( 9-y^2 \right ) - \left ( \frac{36-9y^2}{4} \right ) \right ] = \frac{5\pi}{4}y^2[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^3{\frac{5\pi}{4}y^2\,dy} = \frac{5\pi}{4} \left [ \frac{y^3}{3} \right ]^3_0 = \frac{45\pi}{4}[/tex]

I hope someone can help me find where I went wrong! Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see no reason to assume "bounded" by the y-axis. There are "natural" bounds at x= -3 and x= 3 and if nothing else is said, I think those should be used.

Of course, x2+ y2= 9 is a cirlcle with center at (0,0) and radius 3. Rotated around any axis it makes a sphere with center at (0,0,0) and radius 3. Its volume is [itex](4/3)\pi 3^3= 36\pi[/itex].

[itex]4x^2+ 9y^2= 36[/itex] is an ellipse with center at (0,0), semi-major axis along the x-axisd of length 3 and semi-minor axis along the y-axis of length 2. Rotating around the y-axis makes an ellipsoid with center at (0,0,0) and semi-axes of length 2, 3 and 3. Its volume is given by [itex](4/3)\pi (3)(3)(2)= 24\pi[/itex].

The volume between the two figures is [itex]36\pi- 24\pi= 12\pi[/itex]. However, if it is only rotated by [itex]\pi[/itex] radians, that is only half a circle so we should ony get 1/2 the volume: [itex]6\pi[/itex]. Are you sure about that? Of course, that's not "by integration" but serves as a check.

The problem is that the ellipse does not extend above y= 2. I think you need to do this in parts: for 0< y< 2, you do, in fact, have [itex]\pi [(9- x^2)- (36- 9x^2)/4]= (5/4)\pi x^2[/itex]. But for 2< y< 3, you have the full [itex]\pi(9- x^2)[/itex].

I *think* I get it now. Because [itex]4x^2+9y^2=36[/itex] doesn't extend above [itex]y=2[/itex], I needed to "partition" the volume and evaluate
[tex]\pi \left ( \frac{5}{4}\int_0^2{x^2\,dx} + \int_2^3{9-x^2\,dx} \right ) = 6\pi[/tex]
and then either double for the part below the x-axis, or work it out by hand using the same idea.

Thanks very much!

Related to Solve Solid of Revolution Homework: Area Enclosed by Ellipse & Auxiliary Circle

What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. In this case, we will be rotating an ellipse to create a solid shape.

What is the area enclosed by an ellipse?

The area enclosed by an ellipse can be calculated using the formula A = π * a * b, where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse. This formula can be derived from the standard equation of an ellipse: x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1.

What is an auxiliary circle?

An auxiliary circle is a circle that is used to help find the area enclosed by an ellipse. It is constructed by drawing a line through the center of the ellipse and perpendicular to the major axis, and then drawing a circle with a radius equal to the length of the semi-major axis.

How do I find the area of a solid of revolution?

To find the area of a solid of revolution, we first need to find the area enclosed by the ellipse and the auxiliary circle. This can be done using the formula mentioned earlier. Then, we can use the formula for the surface area of a solid of revolution, which is S = 2π * ∫(f(x) * √(1 + (f'(x))^2) dx, where f(x) is the equation of the ellipse with respect to the x-axis.

What are some real-life applications of solving solid of revolution problems?

Solving solid of revolution problems can be useful in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, engineers may need to find the volume of a water tank or the surface area of a pipe. Architects may use this concept to design staircases or columns. In physics, this concept can be applied to calculate the moment of inertia of an object.