Solve Separable Equation: Interval for y(x)

• Thread starter 2RIP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separable
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the differential equation y' = y^2/x with the initial condition y(1) = 1 and determining the largest interval on which the solution y(x) is defined. The solution is found to be y = 1/(1-ln|x|) and the intervals where y(x) is defined are (\infty, e), (0,e), (- \infty , -e). The question of choosing the largest interval containing x = 1 is also raised, but not definitively answered.
2RIP

Homework Statement

Solve y'=y^2/x , y(1)=1 and give the largest x-interval on which the solution y(x) is defined.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]dy/dx = y^{2}/x[/tex]
[tex]\int dy/y^{2}= \int dx/x[/tex]
[tex]y=1/(1-ln|x|)
[/tex]

Therefore, i find intervals [tex](\infty, e), (0,e), (- \infty , -e)[/tex] where y(x) is defined.

so would the intervals to choose be [tex](\infty, e) & (- \infty , -e)[/tex]??

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
2RIP said:
[tex]dy/dx = y^{2}/x[/tex]
[tex]\int dy/y= \int dx/x[/tex]

Hi 2RIP! :smile:

erm … what happened to the y2? :rolleyes:

Oh sorry, i was still learning how to use the latex coding and left it out. But the rest of my solution should be correct.

Thanks for pointing that out.

2RIP said:

Homework Statement

Solve y'=y^2/x , y(1)=1 and give the largest x-interval on which the solution y(x) is defined.

[tex]y=1/(1-ln|x|)
[/tex]
Therefore, i find intervals [tex](\infty, e), (0,e), (- \infty , -e)[/tex] where y(x) is defined.

so would the intervals to choose be [tex](\infty, e) & (- \infty , -e)[/tex]?

Hi 2RIP! :smile:

y is defined at x = 0 , isn't it?

I'm a little confused by the question … the two largest intervals are both infinite …

I suspect they mean the largest interval containing x = 1.

I'm not sure, though … :redface:

Related to Solve Separable Equation: Interval for y(x)

1. What is a separable equation?

A separable equation is a type of differential equation where the variables can be separated into two separate functions of x and y. This makes it possible to solve the equation by integrating each side separately.

2. How do you solve a separable equation?

To solve a separable equation, first separate the variables x and y on opposite sides of the equation. Then integrate each side separately, using the appropriate integration techniques. Once both sides have been integrated, solve for y to find the solution to the equation.

3. What is the interval for y(x) in a separable equation?

The interval for y(x) in a separable equation refers to the range of values for which the equation is valid. This can vary depending on the specific equation and its initial conditions.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a separable equation?

Yes, here is an example of solving the separable equation dy/dx = 2xy:

First, we separate the variables to get dy = 2xy dx.

Next, we integrate each side separately: ∫ dy = ∫ 2xy dx.

Integrating, we get y = x^2 + C, where C is the constant of integration.

Finally, solving for y and applying any initial conditions, we can find the specific solution to the equation.

5. What are some applications of separable equations in science?

Separable equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to describe and model various physical phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. They are also used in statistics and data analysis to describe relationships between variables.