Solve Rotational Dynamics Homework: Flywheel Stopping in 3 Minutes

In summary, the wheel initially rotates counterclockwise with an angular speed of 1.2 radians per second. It accelerates uniformly to 2.0 radians per second clockwise during a 5 second interval. The magnitude of its displacement during this interval cannot be determined using the given information. For the flywheel problem, the flywheel initially spins at 1800 rpm and is brought to rest in 3 minutes. The number of revolutions the flywheel makes in coming to rest cannot be determined using the given information.
Lyphta

Homework Statement

A wheel initially rotates counterclockwise about a fixed axis, with an initial angular speed of 1.2 radians per second. If it accelerates uniformly to 2.0 radians per second clockwise during a 5 second interval, what is the magnitude of its displacement during this interval?

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega[/tex]f[tex]^{2}[/tex] - [tex]\omega[/tex]i[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 2[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\omega[/tex]i = 1.2 rad/sec
[tex]\omega[/tex]f = 2 rad/sec
t= 5 sec
[tex]\theta[/tex] = ?

2^2 - 1.2^2 = 2 [tex]\theta[/tex] ... But I found out I can't use that equation, that's where I've been stumped at...

Homework Statement

A flywheel initially spinning at 1800 rpm is brought to rest in 3 minutes. How many revolutions does the flywheel make in coming to rest?

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega[/tex]f[tex]^{2}[/tex] - [tex]\omega[/tex]i[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 2[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\omega[/tex]i = 1800 rpm
[tex]\theta[/tex] = ?
[tex]\omega[/tex]i = 0
[tex]\alpha[/tex] = -3769.9 rad/min^2
t= 3 minutes.

0 - [(1800)(2[tex]\pi[/tex]) = 2(-3769.9)([tex]\theta[/tex]
but i don't end up with 2700 rev...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lyphta said:

Homework Equations

Do you know any other eqn apart form this? There are three major eqns for uniform acccn, whehter linear or angular. Find alpha from one of those, and then find theta.

[tex]\omega[/tex]i = 1.2 rad/sec
[tex]\omega[/tex]f = 2 rad/sec

omega_f = - 2 rad/s.

Same for the other problem.

I would approach this problem by first converting all units to the standard SI units of radians per second and seconds. This will make the equations more straightforward to use.

First, we need to convert the initial angular speed of 1800 rpm to radians per second. We can do this by multiplying by 2π, since there are 2π radians in one revolution and 60 seconds in one minute.

So, \omegai = (1800 rpm)(2π/60 sec) = 188.5 rad/sec.

Next, we need to find the final angular speed, \omegaf, which is 0 since the flywheel comes to rest. We also know that the time, t, is 3 minutes or 180 seconds.

Now, we can use the equation \omegaf^{2} - \omegai^{2} = 2\theta\alpha to solve for the number of revolutions, \theta.

Plugging in our values, we get:

0 - (188.5)^2 = 2(θ)(-188.5/180)
-35552.25 = -2.095θ
θ = 35552.25/2.095 = 16985.5 revolutions

So, the flywheel makes approximately 16985.5 revolutions in coming to rest in 3 minutes.

Related to Solve Rotational Dynamics Homework: Flywheel Stopping in 3 Minutes

1. How can I determine the stopping time of a flywheel?

The stopping time of a flywheel can be determined by using the equation: t = (Iω)/τ, where t is the stopping time, I is the moment of inertia of the flywheel, ω is the angular velocity, and τ is the torque applied.

2. What is the moment of inertia and how is it related to rotational dynamics?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is directly related to rotational dynamics as it appears in the equations for rotational kinetic energy and angular momentum.

3. What is the significance of the flywheel's mass and size in rotational dynamics?

The mass and size of a flywheel are important factors in rotational dynamics as they determine the moment of inertia. A larger and heavier flywheel will have a higher moment of inertia, making it more resistant to changes in its rotational motion.

4. How does friction affect the stopping time of a flywheel?

Friction can significantly affect the stopping time of a flywheel. The presence of friction will cause a decrease in the flywheel's angular velocity, resulting in a longer stopping time. However, if the friction is too high, it may prevent the flywheel from stopping at all.

5. Can the stopping time of a flywheel be reduced?

Yes, the stopping time of a flywheel can be reduced by increasing the torque applied to it. This can be achieved by using a braking mechanism or by applying a larger force to the flywheel. Additionally, reducing the friction between the flywheel and its bearings can also decrease the stopping time.