Solving Motor Rotation: 0 to 1800rpm in 0.49s?

In summary, the given problem involves finding the time required for an electric motor to increase its speed from 0 to 1800 rpm. The rotor weighs 10 pounds and has a diameter of 4 inches. Assuming a constant electrical torque of 20 in-lb and zero external load, the solution involves using the moment of inertia formula for a homogeneous cylinder and converting units appropriately. The correct answer is 0.49 seconds.
fahraynk

Homework Statement

The rotor of an electric motor weighs 10 pounds and is 4 inches in diameter. What is the length of time required for the motor speed to increase from 0 to 1800rpm, assuming a constant electrical torque of 20 in-lb and zero external load during this period? Assume the rotor is a homogeneous cylinder.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Moment of inertia (I) of cylinder according to google is $$I=1/2 MR^2 = 1/2*10*2^2=20\\\\\
1800 rpm = \frac{1800}{60} \frac{rotations}{second} * \frac{2\pi rads}{rotation} = 188.5\\\\
20*188.5=20t\\\\
t=188.5$$
The book says the answer is 0.49 seconds. I got 188.5 seconds. Which is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
0.49 s is correct.

Your overall approach is fine. But you are not giving enough consideration to the units of the various quantities. For example, the rotor weighs 10 pounds. But does M in the formula I = (1/2)MR2 represent weight? You should rework the problem plugging in units for each quantity in the calculation. If the units in your calculation do not reduce to seconds when you solve for t, you know you made an error.

Likes fahraynk
TSny said:
0.49 s is correct.

Your overall approach is fine. But you are not giving enough consideration to the units of the various quantities. For example, the rotor weighs 10 pounds. But does M in the formula I = (1/2)MR2 represent weight? You should rework the problem plugging in units for each quantity in the calculation. If the units in your calculation do not reduce to seconds when you solve for t, you know you made an error.
A slightly different take on the error... Not sure which is more helpful.
fahraynk said:
20 in-lb
The lb there does not represent mass. What does it represent?

Likes fahraynk
I got it. There were 2 problems. They gave me weight but I thought it was mass, so I had to divide by gravity. The other was they gave me torque in inch pounds, I had to convert it to foot pounds. Thank you both.

Related to Solving Motor Rotation: 0 to 1800rpm in 0.49s?

1. How can I achieve a motor rotation speed of 0 to 1800rpm in 0.49 seconds?

The key to achieving such a high motor rotation speed in a short amount of time is to use a high-performance motor with a high torque and low inertia. Additionally, proper motor control techniques such as using a high-frequency pulse width modulation (PWM) signal and optimizing the motor's power supply can help achieve the desired speed.

2. What factors can affect the motor's rotation speed and time?

Several factors can affect the motor's rotation speed and time, including the motor's torque and inertia, the motor control techniques used, the power supply, and any external load on the motor. Temperature and friction can also play a role in the motor's performance.

3. Can I use any type of motor to achieve this rotation speed and time?

No, not all motors are capable of achieving such high speeds in a short amount of time. High-performance motors with low inertia and high torque, such as brushless DC motors, stepper motors, or servo motors, are typically used in applications that require fast and precise motor rotation.

4. Is it safe for the motor to rotate at such high speeds?

It depends on the motor's design and specifications. Some high-performance motors are specifically designed to handle high speeds and can safely operate at 1800rpm or even higher. However, it is important to consider the motor's temperature, voltage, and current limits to ensure safe operation.

5. How can I control the motor's rotation speed and time?

The motor's rotation speed and time can be controlled using various techniques such as PWM signals, feedback control loops, and motor drivers. These techniques allow for precise control of the motor's speed and position, making it possible to achieve 0 to 1800rpm in 0.49 seconds.