Calculating Flywheel Rotations in Angular Speed and Constant Acceleration

In summary, the experts discuss the problem of finding the initial revolutions of a flywheel with a diameter of 1.2m rotating at an angular speed of 200 rev/min. They correctly determine the angular speed in rad/s and the velocity at a point on the rim. They also determine the necessary constant of proportionality to increase the angular speed to 1000 rev/min in 60 seconds. After some trial and error, they finally calculate the correct number of revolutions made by the flywheel during that time.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B] A flywheel with a D=1.2m is rotating at an angular speed of 200 rev/min
(a) Whats the angular speed in rad/s ?
(b)Whats v=? in the point on the rim ?
(c)What const. ∝ ( in rev/min^2) will increase its angular speed to 1000 rev/min in 60 sec ?
(d)How many revolutions does the wheel make during that 60 sec ?

2. Homework Equations
Rotational Kinematics Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B] I found a,b,c correctly (for long tries ) but I stucked at d.

I guess I ll use here ##Δθ=wt-1/2∝t^2##

(a) w=20.9 rad/s
(b)v=12.5
(c)=800 rev/min^2

Now for d,

lets to write all equaiton in rev/min form so
20.9rad/sec=20.9.2π.60=7879 rev/min
I don't know what will be the left part cause Δθ in units its normally just rev I guess so
θ-200rev/min=7879rev/min.1min+1/2 (800rev/min^2).(1 min)^2
Here I get a huge number...

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
20.9rad/sec=20.9.2π.60=7879 rev/min
You established before that 200 rev/min corresponds to 20.9 rad/s (which is correct). How can it correspond to a larger number of revolutions per minute now?
Arman777 said:
θ-200rev/min
You cannot subtract an angle and an angular velocity. That's like adding 3 meters to 1 minute: It does not make sense.

You can use the formula you posted, but it is probably easier to find the average angular velocity (in rev/min) and to use that.

mfb said:
You cannot subtract an angle and an angular velocity. That's like adding 3 meters to 1 minute: It does not make sense.

ohh I see...so I can convert 200rev/min to rev which its just 200 or ..I don't know ?

You cannot "convert an angular velocity to revolutions" in the same way you cannot convert apples to minutes. There is no need for such a conversion. Your formula multiplies the angular velocity by a time. The product of those two is a number of revolutions or an angle, depending on which units you use.

ok then how can I found inital rev ? If other parts are correct ?

mfb said:
Your formula multiplies the angular velocity by a time. The product of those two is a number of revolutions or an angle, depending on which units you use.
oh I see...

Here my new try
Δθ=20.9 rad/s.60s-1/2.(0.035 rad/sec^2).(60sec)^2
Δθ=1317rad

Your angular acceleration seems to be too low.

mfb said:
Your angular acceleration seems to be too low.

yeah,sorry it would be 1.40 rad/sec ?

I found yeyyyyy

1. What is flywheel rotation and why is it important in machines?

Flywheel rotation is the movement of a heavy wheel or disc in a circular motion around an axis. In machines, flywheel rotation is important because it helps to store and release energy, which can be used to maintain a constant speed and smooth out any fluctuations in power or torque.

2. How is flywheel rotation related to Newton's laws of motion?

Flywheel rotation is related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the law of conservation of angular momentum. This law states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In the case of flywheel rotation, the angular momentum is stored in the spinning wheel and will continue to rotate unless an external force is applied.

3. What factors affect the speed of flywheel rotation?

The speed of flywheel rotation can be affected by various factors such as the size and weight of the flywheel, the amount of torque or force applied, and any friction or resistance present in the system. Additionally, the shape and design of the flywheel can also impact its rotational speed.

4. How does flywheel rotation help to improve the efficiency of machines?

Flywheel rotation helps to improve the efficiency of machines by storing and releasing energy in a controlled manner. This allows the machine to maintain a constant speed and smooth out any fluctuations in power, reducing wear and tear on the machine components and improving overall performance.

5. Can flywheel rotation be used in renewable energy systems?

Yes, flywheel rotation can be used in renewable energy systems such as flywheel energy storage. This technology uses flywheels to store kinetic energy, which can be converted into electrical energy when needed. It is a clean and efficient way to store energy and can be used as a backup power source for renewable energy systems.