Solve Riemann Sum Question for Area Under Curve

In summary, the conversation was about solving a Riemann Sum question involving the area under a curve using the definition of an integral and Gauss summation equations. The original solution had two mistakes, one of which was flipping a sign and the other was incorrectly pulling out a factor from the sum. After correcting these mistakes, the correct solution was found to be -12.
joe_cool2
*SOLVED*Riemann Sum Question

*SOLVED*

My question is quite simple. I probably just missed something somewhere. I've looked for hours and cannot find the mistake.

Homework Statement

Find the area under the curve using the definition of an integral and Gauss summation equations:

f(x) = 3 - (1/2)x
where x is greater than or equal to two and less than or equal to 14

Homework Equations

Formula #1: Gauss equation for the sum of a list simple list of numbers eg 1,2,3,etc.:

[n(n+1)]/2

Formula #2: to find area using Riemann sums:

lim as n→∞ of Ʃ from i=1 to n of:
f[(i*(b-a))/n]*[(b-a)/n]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Formula #2:

f[12i/n]*(12/n)

pulling out 12/n from under the summation sign:

lim as n→∞ of 12/n * Ʃ from i=1 to n of:
3 - (6i/n)

pulling 36/n out from underneath the summation sign because it has no "counting" i variable:

lim as n→∞ of 36/n - (72/n^2) * Ʃ from 1 to n of i

Using Formula #1 to get rid of the summation sign:

lim as n→∞ of 36/n - (72n^2 + 72n)/2n^2

crossing out the factors n^2 and 2, which are in the N and D of the 2nd fraction:

lim as n→∞ of 36/n - 36 - 36/n

taking the limit:

Now what's the problem?

142 3 - (1/2)x dx = -12

What went wrong? Again, I've been checking this thing for hours.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
joe_cool2 said:
Using Formula #2:

f[12i/n]*(12/n)

This is evaluating the function in the interval [0,12], not [2,14].

Yeah you have the formula for the Riemann sum just slightly (but crucially) wrong. It should be:

##\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{i=1}^{n}f(a+\frac{i(b-a)}{n})\cdot(\frac{b-a}{n})##

Alright. Well here's the updated version using the correct formula.

f[(12i/n)+2]*(12/n)

pulling out 12/n from under the summation sign:

lim as n→∞ of 12/n * Ʃ from i=1 to n of:
3 - (6i/n) - 1

pulling 36/n out from underneath the summation sign because it has no "counting" i variable:

lim as n→∞ of 36/n - [(72/n^2) * Ʃ from 1 to n of i] - 12/n

Using Formula #1 to get rid of the summation sign:

lim as n→∞ of 36/n - (72n^2 + 72n)/2n^2 - 12/n

crossing out the factors n^2 and 2, which are in the N and D of the 2nd fraction:

lim as n→∞ of 36/n - 36 - 36/n - 12/n

taking the limit:

Still the same, wrong answer. Am I just being stupid or what?

Last edited:
There's two mistakes I see:

when you plugged in f(2+12/n), you flipped a sign.

you can't really "pull out 36/n" the way you have; sorry I didn't catch this first time around.

When you're at the stage where you have ##\frac{12}{n}\sum{(3-6i/n)}##, you have to be a bit more careful about how you simplify this sum.

Try breaking it up into two sums for instance.

I think gustav1139 already found the problem, but you aren't presenting the solution very clearly either. Go back and change 3 - (6i/n) + 1 to 3 - (6i/n) - 1. That's where you flipped the sign.

Okay I changed them to minus signs. I see where I messed up there. But as far as I remember, you can pull factors out of the sums as long as no terms have an "i" in them. Why can I not do it in this case? I basically did split it up like:

(12/n) Ʃ 3 - (12/n) Ʃ (6i/n) - (12/n) Ʃ 1

When I said "pull out 36/n" I meant that the sum from 1 to n of 3 is just 3, so:

36/n - (12/n) Ʃ (6i/n) - (12/n) Ʃ 1

What's ##\sum_{i=1}^{n}3##?

Oh, dear. It's 3n, isn't it? Sorry, it's been about six months since the beginning of my Calc II class last semester. Thanks for your patience.

EDIT: Solved.

Last edited:

Related to Solve Riemann Sum Question for Area Under Curve

1. What is a Riemann Sum?

A Riemann Sum is a method for approximating the area under a curve on a graph by dividing the area into smaller rectangles. These rectangles are then added together to give an estimate of the total area.

2. Why is it important to solve Riemann Sum questions for area under a curve?

Solving Riemann Sum questions for area under a curve allows us to find the total area under a curve, which is often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate quantities such as work, displacement, and profit.

3. How do I solve a Riemann Sum question for area under a curve?

To solve a Riemann Sum question for area under a curve, you first need to choose a method for dividing the area into rectangles, such as the left, right, or midpoint rule. Then, you need to calculate the width and height of each rectangle, multiply them together, and add all the rectangles' areas together to get an approximation of the total area.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Riemann Sum questions for area under a curve?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Riemann Sum questions for area under a curve include using the wrong method for dividing the area into rectangles, using incorrect values for the width and height of the rectangles, and forgetting to add all the rectangles' areas together.

5. Can Riemann Sums be used to find the exact area under a curve?

No, Riemann Sums only provide an approximation of the area under a curve. As the number of rectangles used in the calculation increases, the approximation becomes more accurate, but it will never be an exact value. To find the exact area under a curve, you would need to use techniques such as integration.