Solve Relative Motion Problem: Moving Sidewalk Airport Terminal

• Thread starter Gold3nlily
  • Start date
In summary, three individuals, Larry, Curly, and Moe, are traveling through a long corridor at the same speed. Larry takes 140 seconds to walk through the corridor, while Curly takes 65 seconds by standing on a moving sidewalk. Moe boards the sidewalk and walks along it, which increases his speed. To determine Moe's time to move through the corridor, his speed is calculated by adding the speeds of walking and riding the sidewalk, and then dividing the distance by this combined speed. This results in Moe taking less than 65 seconds to move through the corridor.
Gold3nlily
An airport terminal has a moving sidewalk to speed passengers through a long corridor. Larry does not use the moving sidewalk; he takes 140 s to walk through the corridor. Curly, who simply stands on the moving sidewalk, covers the same distance in 65 s. Moe boards the sidewalk and walks along it. How long does Moe take to move through the corridor? Assume that Larry and Moe walk at the same speed.

VAC = VAB + VBC
d=vt

This problem is from the relative motion section of my textbook, but it doesn't specify the reference point. I am assuming the reference point (RP) is the ground and that it is in front of the moving side walk.

RP --------------------------------------------> (moving sidewalk)

all three trips move the same amount of distance (d).
Vwalk = d/140 sec
Vride = d/65 sec
d=vt (but d is same so...)
Vw(140)=Vr(65) ---> so still have two variables...?!

I also tried:
Vwg= d/140 sec (g = ground)
Vrg = d/65 sec
Vwr ... doesn't work. Vrg would have to become Vgr.

I am totally lost on this problem. It is embarrassing. Can someone please walk me through it with hints? I would really appreciate it.

I would also be grateful for any general advice about how to solve problems that seem under represented by the textbook or advice about how to handle stress when I cannot figure out a problem on my own. Some of these physics problems really blow my academic confidence and I am only in physics 1! I need to learn how to think more like a physicist.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you were almost there... the trick is you don't have to solve for the intermediate speeds, just moes final time

Vw = d/140
Vr = d/65

moe's speed is:
Vm = d/140 + d/65

then moe takes
tm = d/Vm

Wow! Thank you very much.

I had set up the equation: (d/t3) = (d/140) + (d/65) on my papers so many times but I was too busy gawking at the fact that I have two missing variables to move forward.

When you broke this problem up into these two steps:

"moe's speed is:
Vm = d/140 + d/65

then moe takes
tm = d/Vm "

It made so much sense.

I hope I can learn to apply this method to any other problems I have trouble with later. THank you again for your help. I really really appreciate it. :biggrin:

Related to Solve Relative Motion Problem: Moving Sidewalk Airport Terminal

1. What is relative motion and how does it apply to a moving sidewalk in an airport terminal?

Relative motion is the motion of an object with respect to another object. In the context of a moving sidewalk in an airport terminal, it refers to the motion of a person walking on the sidewalk with respect to the stationary surroundings, such as the terminal floor or walls.

2. How do you solve a relative motion problem involving a moving sidewalk in an airport terminal?

To solve a relative motion problem involving a moving sidewalk in an airport terminal, you can use the concept of a reference frame. This means choosing a point of reference, typically the stationary surroundings, and considering the motion of the person on the sidewalk with respect to that reference frame. You can then use equations of motion, such as velocity and acceleration, to calculate the relative motion.

3. What factors should be considered when solving a relative motion problem involving a moving sidewalk in an airport terminal?

Some factors to consider when solving a relative motion problem involving a moving sidewalk in an airport terminal include the speed of the sidewalk, the speed and direction of the person walking on the sidewalk, the distance between the starting and ending points, and the time it takes to travel between those points. Also, consider any external forces, such as wind or friction, that may affect the motion.

4. Can relative motion problems involving a moving sidewalk in an airport terminal be solved using vector addition?

Yes, vector addition can be used to solve relative motion problems involving a moving sidewalk in an airport terminal. This involves breaking down the motion into horizontal and vertical components and using vector addition to find the overall displacement and velocity.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving relative motion problems involving a moving sidewalk in an airport terminal?

The concept of relative motion is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. In the context of a moving sidewalk in an airport terminal, understanding relative motion can help with designing efficient airport layouts, planning for pedestrian flow, and improving travel times for passengers.