This seemingly-easy reference problem is making me crazy

• Thread starter prelic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary, the problem involves three individuals: Larry, Curly, and Moe, walking through an airport terminal corridor. Larry walks without using the moving sidewalk and takes 145 seconds to cover the distance. Curly stands on the moving sidewalk and covers the same distance in 60 seconds. Moe walks along the moving sidewalk. The question is, how long does Moe take to move through the corridor? It is assumed that Larry and Moe walk at the same speed. The solution involves using the equation d=vt and considering the sum of the individuals' walking speed and the moving sidewalk's speed.
prelic
This seemingly-easy reference problem is making me crazy!

The airport terminal has a moving sidewalk to speed passengers through a long corridor. Larry does not use the moving sidewalk. He takes 145 s to walk through the corridor. Curly, who simply stands on the moving sidewalk, covers the same distance in 60 s. Moe boards the sidewalk and walks along it. How long does Moe take to move through the corridor? Assume that Larry and Moe walk at the same speed.

I'm not asking you to do this for me, I just have no idea what to do. They are both constant velocities, meaning no acceleration, so I don't have to worry about any of that. They both move at a constant velocity, so when someone walks on a moving sidewalk, their velocity should be the sum of their walking speed + the sidewalk speed. I have no idea how to figure out their velocities. I tried using d=vt, and since the distance is the same, i tried setting them equal to each other, but ill have 2 unknowns (the 2 velocities). I can't use any other equations because I don't know the distance. GAH

Physics news on Phys.org
try drawing a picture (a pictorial visualization)

You have the right approach... you just need to take the final step. So you have 1 speed v1 (larry and moe's speed)... and v2 (the moving sidewalk's speed).

What equations can you write using v1 and v2?

figured it out, thanks.

Related to This seemingly-easy reference problem is making me crazy

1. What exactly is the reference problem that is causing confusion?

The reference problem refers to a situation where information or data is not properly cited or attributed to its original source. This often happens when conducting research or writing a paper.

2. How can I avoid encountering reference problems?

To avoid reference problems, it is important to properly cite all sources used in your work. This includes using in-text citations and creating a bibliography or reference list. Additionally, it is important to always double check the accuracy of your citations.

3. What are the consequences of not addressing reference problems?

Not addressing reference problems can result in plagiarism, which is a serious academic offense. It can also lead to a loss of credibility and academic integrity. Therefore, it is important to always properly cite and attribute sources.

4. How do I know if I am properly citing sources?

There are various style guides and citation formats that can help you properly cite sources. It is important to consult the specific guidelines provided by your institution or publisher. Additionally, there are also online citation generators that can assist in creating accurate citations.

5. Can I ask for help with reference problems?

Absolutely! If you are unsure about how to properly cite sources or are encountering reference problems, it is always best to seek help from a professor, librarian, or writing center. They can provide guidance and resources to ensure that your references are accurate and properly cited.