Solve PreCalc Question: Population Growth in 10 Years

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalc
If you used minutes, you'd have to find the growth rate per minute.In summary, the conversation is about finding the expected population of a city in 10 years given the average growth rate of 7.5% per year. Two formulas are given for exponential growth, with the second one being used to calculate the expected population. The confusion arises from not understanding how to reason out the units for the growth rate, which must be defined using the inverse unit of time.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

The average growth rate of the population of a certain city is 7.5% per year. The city's population is now 22,750 people. What is the expected population in 10 years?

Homework Equations

I was always taught this formula for exponential growth

N(t) = N_0 e^(kt)
N = population
N_0 = population at t(0)
e = 2.7...
k = some positive constant
t = time

Here's what my teacher wrote on my paper for the formula

f(x) = C(1 + r)^x
f(x) = population
C = initial population
r = growth rate

The Attempt at a Solution

no i don't understand how to do this exactly because I don't know what to use for the constant k

so i used the second one

22750 (1 + .075)^10 = 46888.4680

now what I don't udnerstand is that this really makes no sense at all becasue if I wanted to fidn the population at 10 minutes or ten centuries and just plugged in 10 into the equation with no units at all I would get the same exact answer. Can youp please tell me how to go about reasoning this out... THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason it works is because the growth rate must be defined using the inverse unit of whichever unit of time you're using.

In this case, your growth rate is defined at 7.5% per year. If you used centuries for t, you'd have to find the growth rate per century.

Related to Solve PreCalc Question: Population Growth in 10 Years

1. How is population growth calculated in precalculus?

In precalculus, population growth is typically calculated using the exponential growth formula, which is P(t) = P0ert, where P(t) is the population after a certain amount of time, P0 is the initial population, e is the base of natural logarithms, and r is the growth rate.

2. What is the difference between linear and exponential growth?

Linear growth refers to a constant increase in an amount over time, while exponential growth refers to a rapid increase in an amount over time, often resulting in a J-shaped curve. In precalculus, population growth is typically modeled using exponential growth because it more accurately reflects real-world population growth patterns.

3. How can I use precalculus to predict population growth in the future?

To predict population growth in the future, you can use the exponential growth formula and plug in a future time value for t. This will give you an estimate of the population at that time based on the current growth rate. However, it is important to note that population growth is affected by various factors and may not always follow a predictable pattern.

4. Can population growth be negative?

In precalculus, population growth is typically modeled using positive growth rates, as populations tend to increase over time. However, in some cases, a negative growth rate may be used to model a declining population, such as in the case of a decreasing birth rate or a natural disaster.

5. How can I apply population growth in real-world situations?

Population growth is a commonly used concept in various fields such as economics, biology, and environmental science. In these fields, it can be used to predict future population trends, plan for resource allocation, and understand the impact of population growth on the environment. Understanding population growth in precalculus can also help in making informed decisions about personal finances and investments.