How Do You Calculate Population Growth Using Exponential Functions?

In summary, the city of Spring Field is expected to have a population of 250000 in 2003, double to 500000 by 2025, and have a population of 2 million by 2015.
Veronica_Oles

Homework Statement

In 2003 the city of spring field had a population of 250000 the population is expected to double by 2025, how many people in 2015?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A=Pb^t

The initial is 250000 and b is 2 because it doubles however I am unsure of what the exponent is I've tried but I can't get it. Also don't you have to put 500000 in A because we already know the final amount? Help is appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Veronica:

I think that the equation A=Pb^t is not going to help you.
Try instead A = P b^(t-2003).
This equation makes it easier to calculate P.

I suggest you organize the data as a table like the following:
t=Year A=Population b^(t-2003)
1) 2003 P=250000 b^0=1
2) 2015 X=? b^(2015-2003)=?
3) 2025 500000 b^(2025)=2​

Use (3) to find b. Then using this value for b, use the equation to find b^(2015-2013) and X.

Hope this helps,
Buzz

Likes Veronica_Oles
Veronica_Oles said:
In 2003 the city of spring field had a population of 250000 the population is expected to double by 2025, how many people in 2015?

The rate of growth can be calculated by the given data and then the population after a time span can be found if the rate is taken as steady/uniform.
PR = N(T2)- N(T1)/ (T2-T1) = dN/dT

Likes Veronica_Oles
drvrm said:
The rate of growth can be calculated by the given data and then the population after a time span can be found if the rate is taken as steady/uniform.
PR = N(T2)- N(T1)/ (T2-T1) = dN/dT
Probably not too useful in the precalculus Forum.

Likes Veronica_Oles and drvrm
Veronica_Oles said:

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

A=Pb^t

The initial is 250000 and b is 2 because it doubles however I am unsure of what the exponent is I've tried but I can't get it. Also don't you have to put 500000 in A because we already know the final amount? Help is appreciated thanks.

Like Buzz pointed out, you could fix t to years, i.e. (year - 2013) and change your b. Otherwise you could fix your b and change your time. In either case, you need to achieve the goal of defining this as a function of the year and then solve for the year 2015.

If you fix b = 2 and change your exponent, you need to define your exponent to be equal to 0 in 2013 and 1 in 2025.
This way A = Pb^t = 250000* 2^t will give you 250000 in year 2013 and 500000 in 2025.

Can you think of a way to do that?

Related to How Do You Calculate Population Growth Using Exponential Functions?

What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable. It is characterized by a rapid increase or decrease in value as the variable increases or decreases.

What are the key features of an exponential function?

The key features of an exponential function include a constant base (b), a variable exponent (x), and a horizontal asymptote. The function increases or decreases rapidly as x increases or decreases, and the y-intercept is always at (0, a), where a is the constant.

How do you graph an exponential function?

To graph an exponential function, you can create a table of values by choosing different values for x and plugging them into the function. Then, plot the points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use the key features of an exponential function to graph it, such as the y-intercept and the direction and steepness of the curve.

What is the difference between exponential growth and decay?

Exponential growth occurs when the base (b) of the exponential function is greater than 1, resulting in a curve that increases rapidly as x increases. Exponential decay occurs when the base (b) is between 0 and 1, resulting in a curve that decreases rapidly as x increases.

How are exponential functions used in real life?

Exponential functions can be used to model many real-life situations, such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and physics to analyze and predict various phenomena.