Using e to determine population growth?

We're given that the population doubles every 50 years, so in the year 1950 the population was 2 x 10,000 = 20,000. In the year 2000 the population was 2 x 20,000 = 40,000. In summary, the population in 2000 was 40,000.
moonman239

Homework Statement

A population started at 10,000 in 1900. The population doubles every 50 years. What was the population in 2000?

Homework Equations

Q(time) = Q(initial)*e(rate)(time)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to come up with the answer using the standard growth equation, but got the wrong answer with the given equation. Am I doing anything wrong or is the equation not suitable for this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
moonman239 said:

Homework Statement

A population started at 10,000 in 1900. The population doubles every 50 years. What was the population in 2000?

Homework Equations

I was able to come up with the answer using the standard growth equation, but got the wrong answer with the given equation. Am I doing anything wrong or is the equation not suitable for this problem?

I don't think you're supposed to use the exponential equation. If the population was 10,000 in 1900 and it doubles every 50 years, what was it in 1950? (No calculator allowed:-p)
What was it in 2000?

I wouldn't use e. you could simply use. Q=10000(2)^(x/50)

In fact, because 2000= 1900+ 50+ 50, no "formula" is necessary. In 50 years the population doubles. If it was 10000 in 1900, what was it in 1950, 50 years later? What was it in 2000, another 50 years later?

(Should have read the other posts more carefully. I see now that Mark44 already said that.)

If you really want to use the exponential formula you give, you have to be determine what "rate" is. Since the population doubles in 50 years, you must have [itex]e^{(rate)(50)}= 2[/itex] so that (rate)(50)= ln(2) and rate= ln(2)/50. The population after t years is [itex]10000e^{ln(2)t/50}[/itex].

Note that this us the same as [itex]10000(e^{ln(2)})^{t/50}[/itex] and since [itex]e^{ln(2)}= 2[/itex] that is the same as [itex]10000(2^{t/50}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
moonman239 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

e is not involved. e is only involved during continuous growth.

It is very common to approximate discrete changes with continuous models.

HallsofIvy said:
It is very common to approximate discrete changes with continuous models.

But in this case the approximation is innaccurate. It is also harder, when one can just multiply by ##2^n##

Related to Using e to determine population growth?

1. How is e used to determine population growth?

The constant "e" is used in the mathematical formula for continuous population growth, where the rate of change is proportional to the current population size. By plugging in the appropriate values for the initial population, growth rate, and time period, the population size at any given time can be calculated.

2. What is the significance of the constant "e" in population growth?

The constant "e" is a special number in mathematics that represents the base of the natural logarithm. It is an irrational number with a value of approximately 2.71828, and it is used in population growth because it describes a continuous process, rather than a discrete one.

3. How does using e to determine population growth differ from other methods?

Using e to determine population growth is considered a continuous model, while other methods, such as the logistic growth model, are considered discrete models. This means that e can be used to calculate population size at any point in time, while other methods require specific time intervals.

4. Are there any limitations to using e to determine population growth?

While e can accurately model continuous population growth, it may not be the most appropriate method for all scenarios. For example, if there are limiting factors, such as limited resources or competition, a discrete model may be more accurate. Additionally, e assumes a constant growth rate, which may not always be the case in real-world populations.

5. How can e be applied to real-world population growth studies?

Euler's number, or "e", can be used in a variety of fields to model continuous processes, including population growth. It has been applied in ecology, economics, and epidemiology to study population dynamics and make predictions about future growth. By understanding the principles of e, scientists can better analyze and interpret population data.