Solve Natural Logarithm Equation lnx+ ln(x-1) = 1

In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation lnx + ln(x-1) = 1 by using logarithm properties and the quadratic formula. The properties of logarithms can be applied to natural logarithms, and the equation can be rewritten as lnx + ln(x-1) = 1 = ln(x^2-x), which can then be solved using the quadratic formula.
PolyFX

Homework Statement

lnx+ ln(x-1) = 1

solve each equation for x

Homework Equations

ln(e^x) = x
e^lnx = x

The Attempt at a Solution

x + (x-1) = e^1 [==> using ln(e^x) = x]
from this point on, I am stuck because I am having trouble isolating x because of the x that is in the brackets.

-Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the logarithm property
ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab)

Bohrok,

Thank you. For some reason I always assumed that the logarithm laws such as log(x/y)= log x-logy etc, could not be applied to natural logarithms. I guess questions like that never really came up.

So using ln(ab) = lna + lnb

I get,

lnx + ln(x-1) = 1
ln(x2-x) = 1

so e1 = x2-x

Am I missing a step? I still cannot isolate x to solve for it. I think I may be jumping in a little too early for the cancellation rule.

-Thanks in advance

The properties of logarithms work with any positive number base (I believe), at least with most numbers you come across, like 10 and e.

What you have now is a quadratic equation with an x2 term, so use the quadratic formula after you set the equation equal to 0.

Related to Solve Natural Logarithm Equation lnx+ ln(x-1) = 1

1. What is a natural logarithm?

A natural logarithm is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is denoted by ln(x) and is defined as the power to which the number e (approximately 2.718) must be raised to equal a given number.

2. What is the difference between a natural logarithm and a common logarithm?

The main difference between a natural logarithm (ln) and a common logarithm (log) is the base. A natural logarithm has a base of e, while a common logarithm has a base of 10. In other words, ln(x) represents the power to which e must be raised to equal x, while log(x) represents the power to which 10 must be raised to equal x.

3. How do you solve a natural logarithm equation?

To solve a natural logarithm equation, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, you can use algebraic methods to isolate the logarithm and solve for the variable. In the case of lnx+ ln(x-1) = 1, you can combine the two logarithms using the product rule to get ln(x(x-1)) = 1, and then use the definition of a logarithm to get x(x-1) = e. Finally, you can use the quadratic formula to solve for x.

4. What are the possible solutions to the equation lnx+ ln(x-1) = 1?

The possible solutions to this equation will depend on the restrictions of the natural logarithm. Since the domain of ln(x) is x > 0, and the domain of ln(x-1) is x-1 > 0, the possible solutions for this equation are x = 2 and x = e+1.

5. How do you check if a solution to a natural logarithm equation is valid?

To check if a solution to a natural logarithm equation is valid, you can substitute the solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. In the case of lnx+ ln(x-1) = 1, you can substitute x = 2 and x = e+1 to see if the equation holds true. If it does, then the solutions are valid.