Solve Difference Equation: ΔP = e^P

In summary: This problem is related to the first one, where you have a fixed data rate. However, in this case, you are not limited to a certain data rate. Instead, you can run the recursive algorithm at any given rate.
Cyrus
I have a difference equation which is given as:

ΔP = e^P [1]

where we can re-write ΔP as: Δ P = P_2 - P_1, where the subscripts indicate two distinct discrete time indices.

What I would like to do: is to convert this into a continuous time expression and solve it, if possible.

In order to help give some insight, I will solve a similar type of problem where I know the solution.

ΔP = c_1 [2]

Note here, that in all cases we are running the recursive algorithm at a fixed data rate. Therefore, I can rewrite equation [1] as:

Δ P = P_2 - P_1 = c_2 ⋅ Δ t

where c_1 = c_2 ⋅ Δ t

This allows me to divide both sides by [equation] \Delta t [/equation]:

ΔP /Δt = c_2

And in the limit:

dP/dt = c_2

which then becomes:

P(t) - P(0) = c_2⋅(t - t_0)

And so the result is that this recursive equation [2] gives us a linear ramp if we were to implement it. What I am trying to do for equation [1] is figure out what this expression will look like.

Physics news on Phys.org
To which discrete time index is e^P refering?

You can approximate it by a "continuous derivative" with different results depending upon what "continuity" assumptions you make.

Cyrus said:
$$\Delta P = P_2 - P_1 = e^{P_1}$$
looks explosive if I try a few numbers:
Code:
n   P1           exp(P1)         P2
0   0.0001       1.0001      1.0002
1   1.0002       2.718826    3.719026
2   3.719026    41.2242     44.94323
3  44.94323      3.3E+19     3.3E+19
I find it hard to believe this is what's intended ... ?

Sorry all I forgot it's e^p1

BvU said:
looks explosive if I try a few numbers:
Code:
n   P1           exp(P1)         P2
0   0.0001       1.0001      1.0002
1   1.0002       2.718826    3.719026
2   3.719026    41.2242     44.94323
3  44.94323      3.3E+19     3.3E+19
I find it hard to believe this is what's intended ... ?

Good point, it's actually e^(p1 - c_3)

Which is a negative exponential, but we can rewrite that as e^p1 / e^c_3 so I left out the denominator since it was a constant value. c_3 is just a constant

HallsofIvy said:
You can approximate it by a "continuous derivative" with different results depending upon what "continuity" assumptions you make.

I'm open to any solutions that are simple with some reasonable assumptions. :-)

Cyrus said:
I'm open to any solutions that are simple with some reasonable assumptions. :-)
Hey look who's back :smile:

Likes gracy
Cyrus said:
Good point, it's actually e^(p1 - c_3)

Which is a negative exponential, but we can rewrite that as e^p1 / e^c_3 so I left out the denominator since it was a constant value. c_3 is just a constant
Still explodes, at some point P1 > c3.
Let C3 = 100 and P1 start at 1:

upload_2016-2-11_10-23-51.png

Likes jim mcnamara
It looks like you have, for a fixed data rate
##\Delta P = e^P,## so ##P_2 - P_1 = e^{P_1 } \Delta t##?
In the same way you simplified the first problem,

##\frac{\delta P}{\delta t} = \frac{ P(t+\delta t) - P(t) }{ \delta t} = e^{ P(t) }.##
In the limit, this will give you ## P' = e^{P(t)} ##

As BvU has pointed out, no matter what your starting P_1 is, your function will eventually blow up. Is there some other context for this problem? Maybe some initial values?

Related to Solve Difference Equation: ΔP = e^P

What is the difference equation ΔP = e^P?

The difference equation ΔP = e^P represents a mathematical relationship in which the change in a variable (ΔP) is equal to the value of the variable (P) raised to the power of the mathematical constant e. This equation is commonly used in various fields, such as economics, physics, and biology, to model growth and decay processes.

How do you solve the difference equation ΔP = e^P?

To solve the difference equation ΔP = e^P, you can use a variety of mathematical techniques, such as iteration, substitution, or graphical methods. These methods involve manipulating the equation and solving for the variable P. Depending on the specific context of the problem, different approaches may be more suitable.

What are the applications of the difference equation ΔP = e^P?

The difference equation ΔP = e^P has many applications in different fields. In economics, it can be used to model population growth or the accumulation of wealth. In physics, it can be used to describe radioactive decay or the spread of heat in a material. In biology, it can be used to model the growth of bacteria or the spread of disease.

What is the significance of the mathematical constant e in the difference equation ΔP = e^P?

The mathematical constant e (approximately equal to 2.71828) is often referred to as the "natural" or "Euler's" number. It is a fundamental constant in mathematics and has many applications in various fields. In the difference equation ΔP = e^P, the constant e represents the base of the natural logarithm and is used to model continuous growth or decay processes.

How can the difference equation ΔP = e^P be applied in real-life situations?

The difference equation ΔP = e^P can be applied in various real-life situations, such as predicting population growth, modeling the spread of infectious diseases, or analyzing financial investments. By understanding the relationship between the change in a variable and its current value, this equation can help make predictions and inform decision-making processes in a wide range of scenarios.