Solve 6-Var System of Equations for Unknowns

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of equations with six unknown variables using matrix equations. The equations represent forces in a bent rod supported by journal bearings, and the goal is to find the values of the variables. The suggested approach is to start with the simplest equations and work up to the more complex ones.
yoleven

Homework Statement

I have 6 equations with six unknown variables. Does anyone know the best way to proceed?
I've tried to substitute but it won't work for me.
1.Ax+Bx+.03536F2=0
2.Ay+Cy-212.1+.6124F2=0
3.Bz+Cz-.7071F2-212.1=0
4.-3Bz-4Ay+(5)*212.1+(5)*212.1=0
5.4Ax+5Cz=0
6.5Ax+3Bx-5Cy=0

Homework Equations

These are the forces in a bent rod supported at points A,B and C by journal bearings.
equation 1 is[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fx=0
2 is [tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0,etc.
I don't need help with the statics, just with the solving for the unknown variables when so many are involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matrix equation. But even then, you're going to solve a 6x6 matrix. You make an equation of the form AX=B where B=0 (null matrix) in this case. X contains all your variables (x,y,z, etc) and A contains their coefficients.

Hi yoleven! :smile:
yoleven said:
1.Ax+Bx+.03536F2=0
2.Ay+Cy-212.1+.6124F2=0
3.Bz+Cz-.7071F2-212.1=0
4.-3Bz-4Ay+(5)*212.1+(5)*212.1=0
5.4Ax+5Cz=0
6.5Ax+3Bx-5Cy=0

You can simplify it a lot by starting with the easy one, #5, and then doing #1 and #3.

Start it that way, and see what you get. :smile:

Related to Solve 6-Var System of Equations for Unknowns

1. How do I solve a 6-variable system of equations?

To solve a 6-variable system of equations, you will need to use a method called elimination or substitution. This involves manipulating the equations to eliminate variables until you are left with one equation and one unknown. Then, you can solve for the unknown using basic algebraic principles.

2. What is the purpose of solving a 6-variable system of equations?

The purpose of solving a 6-variable system of equations is to find the values of each variable that make all of the equations true. This can be useful in a variety of scientific and mathematical applications such as solving complex systems in physics or analyzing data in economics.

3. What are some common strategies for solving a 6-variable system of equations?

Some common strategies for solving a 6-variable system of equations include substitution, elimination, and using matrices. These methods involve manipulating the equations in different ways to simplify the system and solve for the unknown variables.

4. How do I know if a 6-variable system of equations has a unique solution?

A 6-variable system of equations will have a unique solution if there are 6 equations and 6 unknowns, and the equations are independent (i.e. not multiples of each other). This means that each equation provides new information and there is no redundancy in the system.

5. What should I do if I cannot solve a 6-variable system of equations?

If you are unable to solve a 6-variable system of equations, it is possible that the system is inconsistent or has infinitely many solutions. In this case, you may need to check your work for errors or seek assistance from a tutor or teacher. It is also important to check if the system is correctly set up and if there are any typos in the equations.