Modeling a Damped Spring System with Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation of motion for a mass attached to a 5-foot spring with a weight of 8 pounds and a damping constant of one. The mass is initially released from a point 6 inches below the equilibrium point with an upward velocity of 1 ft/sec. Using the equations F=kx and my''+cy'+ky=0, the attempt at a solution resulted in the equation y''+4y'+80/3y=0. The mass is calculated to be 8/1.2, and the damping force is determined to be -kv, with initial conditions y(0)=-6 and y'(0)=1.
joker2014

Homework Statement

After a mass weighing 8 pounds is attached to a 5-foot spring, the spring measures 6.6 feet. The entire system is placed in a medium that offers a damping constant of one. Find the equation of motion if the mass is initially released from a point 6 inches below the equilibrium point with a upward velocity of 1 ft/sec.

Homework Equations

F=kx
my''+cy'+ky=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I got k=8/(6.6-5) = 8/1.2
c= 1 as given ?

setting up the eqn I got 1/4 y'' + 1y' + 8/1.2 y = 0
or y'' +4y' + 80/3 y = 0

is this actually right? I tried 3 times and I keep getting this, i don't know i feel suspicious ?!

Physics news on Phys.org
"8 pounds" is weight, or force, not mass. What does "damping constant" mean? What are its units and how does it give force?

HallsofIvy said:
"8 pounds" is weight, or force, not mass. What does "damping constant" mean? What are its units and how does it give force?
of course 8 lbs is weight, dividing by 32 gives me .25 which is my mass! damping i believe is given in the problem "damping constant of one" .. otherwise if not given i would find it by sqrt of 4*m*k

"Damping force" is always opposite to the motion and is, approximately, proportional to the speed or the speed squared. I presume here you are told that it is proportional to speed. But because it is opposite to speed, the force must be -kv.

and of course my iniital conditions would be y(0)=-6 y'(0)=1

Related to Modeling a Damped Spring System with Differential Equations

What is a springs differential equation?

A springs differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a spring. It takes into account the spring's stiffness, mass, and position to determine how it will move in response to an applied force.

What is the general form of a springs differential equation?

The general form of a springs differential equation is ma + kx = F, where m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, a is acceleration, k is the spring constant, x is the position of the object, and F is the applied force.

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is typically denoted by the letter k and has units of newtons per meter (N/m). A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and requires more force to stretch or compress it.

How is a springs differential equation solved?

A springs differential equation can be solved using methods from calculus, such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and any initial conditions given.

What are some real-life applications of springs differential equations?

Springs differential equations have many real-life applications, such as in the design of car suspensions, shock absorbers, and door hinges. They are also used in modeling systems in physics and engineering, such as in the study of simple harmonic motion.