Viscous Coupling operating dynamics?

In summary, the conversation is about the operating dynamics of viscous couplings and the speaker is looking for detailed information on the topic. They mention that when searching online, they only find information about automotive torque converters, but they are interested in learning about viscous couplings outside of that context. They have several specific questions about how viscous couplings work, including how they are rated, how they transfer torque at different RPMs, and how they can be used as a fluid brake. They also ask if there are any couplings with lockup speeds that are independent of the rotation of the whole unit. They are seeking sources for this information.
one_raven
I am looking for detailed information about the operating dynamics of viscous couplings.
When I search on the web, all I end up with is automotive sites that are selling them, telling you how to diagnose/repair them or explain what they do in a car.

I understand what they do.
I understand the basic mechanics of how they do it.

I am looking for more.
I want information regarding viscous couplings, but not necessarily automotive torque converters.

What aspects are they rated by?
Is RPM the only consideration when determining the amount (%) of Torque transfer that will take place?
Is there a Torque/RPM curve of some sort?
For example, if I wanted the turbine to begin to spin at 30 RPM, and lockup to occur at 120 RPM, how would the engine Torque come into play? Does the engine Torque only come into effect regarding the Torque load on the output? What I mean is: Is the coupling rated to transfer X% of engine Torque at Y RPM, with the RPM of the output simply being dependant upon the load on the output being less than Torque(in)*%Torque(transferred)+Torque(multiplication)?

What determines the curve between when the turbine starts to spin and effective lockup? (no lockup clutch)

Let's say the impeller RPM is 2000 and the turbine RPM is 1200. Now increase the impeller RPM to 3000 and the turbine reaches 2800 RPM. Now, if the impeller drops suddenly back to 2000 RPM, how do I determine how long will it take for the turbine RPM to drop back to 1200 RPM?

What if I wanted to use a viscous coupling as a fluid brake? If I fixed the output of the coupling and the coupling was rated to lockup at 500 RPM, would that brake the input shaft effectively as long as the Torque out does not exceed the max Torque rating of the coupling?

Can anyone help me find a source for all this information plus more?

Thanks a lot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is one (of the many) specific things I was wondering about...

Are there any fluid couplings whose lockup RPM is independent of the rotation of the whole unit?

Let me explain...

Let's say I have two shafts that rotate at different speeds.
I don't want shaft B to rotate any more than 500 RPM greater than shaft A.
So, I attach them with the coupling I mentioned above.
The coupling lockup speed is 500 RPM (with a lockup clutch).
Since the whole unit is rotating lockup should occur at 500 RPM RELATIVE to the rotation of shaft A.
Hence Shaft B will never rotate any faster than Shaft A + <lockup speed> (which is 500 RPM).

Does this coupling exist?

Thanks again.

Viscous couplings are mechanical devices that transfer torque between two rotating shafts. They are commonly used in automotive applications, but can also be found in other industrial and commercial settings. The operating dynamics of viscous couplings depend on several factors, including the design and construction of the coupling, the speed and torque of the input and output shafts, and the amount of fluid inside the coupling.

One of the key aspects that determines the performance of a viscous coupling is its torque rating. This is the maximum amount of torque that the coupling can transfer between the input and output shafts. The torque rating is typically given in terms of percentage, such as 70% or 80%, which indicates the portion of the input torque that will be transferred to the output shaft.

RPM is also an important consideration when it comes to the operating dynamics of a viscous coupling. The RPM of the input and output shafts can affect the amount of torque transfer and the speed at which the coupling engages. However, RPM is not the only factor that determines the amount of torque transfer. The torque load on the output shaft also plays a role in the coupling's performance.

There is typically a torque/RPM curve for each specific viscous coupling, which shows the relationship between the input torque and the output RPM. This curve can vary depending on the design and construction of the coupling. In your example of wanting the turbine to start spinning at 30 RPM and lockup at 120 RPM, the amount of engine torque would affect the speed at which the turbine reaches 120 RPM. The engine torque would also play a role in the torque load on the output shaft, which would in turn affect the torque transfer and the speed of the output shaft.

The curve between when the turbine starts to spin and effective lockup is determined by the design and construction of the coupling, as well as the amount of fluid inside. The fluid inside the coupling is what creates the viscous torque transfer, and the amount and viscosity of the fluid can affect the performance of the coupling.

In terms of using a viscous coupling as a fluid brake, it is possible to do so as long as the output torque does not exceed the maximum torque rating of the coupling. In this case, the coupling would effectively slow down the input shaft and act as a brake.

To find more detailed information about the operating dynamics of viscous couplings, you may need to consult technical manuals or reach out to manufacturers for specific data on their

What is viscous coupling?

Viscous coupling is a mechanical device that transfers torque from one component to another by using a viscous fluid. It consists of two plates connected by a viscous fluid that allows rotation between the plates.

How does viscous coupling operate?

Viscous coupling operates by using a viscous fluid, usually silicone oil, to transfer torque from one component to another. When torque is applied, the fluid inside the coupling heats up, causing it to become more viscous and transmit torque to the other component.

What are the advantages of using a viscous coupling?

One of the main advantages of using a viscous coupling is its ability to transfer torque smoothly and continuously, without any sudden jerks or shocks. It also has a simple design and is relatively low maintenance compared to other types of couplings.

What are the limitations of viscous coupling?

One limitation of viscous coupling is that it is not suitable for high torque applications. The viscous fluid can also deteriorate over time, causing a decrease in performance. Additionally, viscous couplings are not as efficient as other types of couplings such as gear and magnetic couplings.

How can the operating dynamics of a viscous coupling be optimized?

The operating dynamics of a viscous coupling can be optimized by using the appropriate type and amount of viscous fluid, as well as ensuring that the coupling is properly sealed to prevent fluid leakage. Additionally, regular maintenance and monitoring can help identify any issues and optimize performance.