Solid of revolution (should be simple)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid formed by rotating the area between two curves around the x-axis, and the correct answer is pi/8(e^(2pi)-1). The person seeking help has tried solving the problem multiple times and is unsure of where their mistake may be. After verifying their work, it is determined that they had the correct solution.
Paulo Serrano
Hey. Thanks in advanced for the help. This site has helped me a lot through the years.

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid formed by rotating the area within y=e^x and y=sin x when 0<x<pi

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried it like 10 times on the whiteboard, and did it quickly on a sheet of paper so someone call tell me where I'm going wrong...the answer is supposedly pi/8(e^(2pi)-1)

Here's my work. http://min.us/mvfTL55

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The anti-derivative if cos(x) is +sin(x), not -sin(x) .

Are you sure that's where I made my mistake? The reason it became positive (I think) is not that I got the anti-derivative mixed up. It's because the negative sign outside the parenthesis canceled out the one before the pi*integral of cos2x/2

Of course! You're right.

What is the correct answer?

What axis is this area to be revolved around?

Around the x-axis. answer is pi/8(e^(2pi)-1)

It looks kinda similar...but not quite.

Your work looks good to me !

Related to Solid of revolution (should be simple)

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. The resulting shape is symmetrical and has the same cross-sectional area at every point along the axis.

2. What are some common examples of solids of revolution?

Some common examples of solids of revolution include cylinders, cones, spheres, and tori (donuts). These shapes are all created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis.

3. How is the volume of a solid of revolution calculated?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated using the formula V = π∫f(x)^2 dx, where f(x) is the function that defines the cross-sectional area of the shape at each point along the axis.

4. What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a surface of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional object, while a surface of revolution is a two-dimensional surface. A solid of revolution has volume, while a surface of revolution does not.

5. How are solids of revolution used in real life?

Solids of revolution have many practical applications in engineering and physics. For example, cylinders and cones are commonly used in the design of pipes and containers, while spheres are used in the construction of pressure vessels. They are also used in calculus to calculate volumes and surface areas of complex shapes.