Volumes of Solids of Revolution

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with finding the area and volume of a given region, R, bounded by two equations and rotated around different axes. The student has attempted to solve the problems and is unsure if their answers are correct. They also mention not knowing how to approach the third question.
MAC5494
Question

I'm really having issues grasping the Volumes of Solids of revolution. I could use some help solving this question, it isn't very hard.

1. Let R be the region bounded by y = x2 and y = x + 2. Find:

a) the area of R

b) the volume of the solid if R is rotated about the x-axis

c) the volume of the solid if R is rotated about the the line x = 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically this is what I've gotten.

a)
Area = ∫((x+2)-(x2))dx
= (x2/2 + 2x) - (x3/3), evaluated over the interval (-1,2)
= 4.5

b) this is what I did but I don't know if it is right

∏∫((x+2)2 - (x2))dx
= ∏∫((x2+4x+4) - x4) dx
= ∏(x5/5 - x3/3 -2x2 -4x) evaluated from (-1,2)
= 72∏/5

c) I'm not sure how to start this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
a and b look right. For c, have you learned the shell method for integration?

Related to Volumes of Solids of Revolution

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis. The resulting shape is called a solid of revolution because it is formed by rotating the original shape around a central axis, creating a volume or "solid" shape.

2. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a solid of revolution?

The formula for calculating the volume of a solid of revolution is V = ∫pi*r^2 dx, where V is the volume, pi is the mathematical constant pi (approximately 3.14159), r is the radius of the shape, and dx is the change in x values. This formula is also known as the "disk method."

3. What are some common shapes that can be used to create solids of revolution?

Some common shapes that can be used to create solids of revolution include circles, rectangles, triangles, and semi-circles. These shapes can be rotated around a central axis to create a variety of solid shapes, such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

4. What is the difference between a solid of revolution and a regular solid?

A solid of revolution is a type of solid that is created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a central axis, while a regular solid is a three-dimensional shape with equal sides and angles. Regular solids, such as cubes or pyramids, do not require rotation to create their shape.

5. How are solids of revolution used in real-life applications?

Solids of revolution have many real-life applications, such as in architecture, engineering, and manufacturing. For example, they can be used to design and create circular structures like bridges and tunnels, or to calculate the volume of containers like cylinders or cones. They are also used in physics and calculus to model and study the movement and behavior of objects in rotation.