Solid of Revolution of an arcsin graph

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid of revolution formed by rotating the graph of the function f(x) = arcsin(2x^2 - 1) about the y-axis. The endpoints of the graph are given and the equation resembles a "bowl" shape. The two main methods for finding volume are discussed, the disc method and the shell method, and the latter is chosen for this problem. The process of setting up the definite integral is described, using the formula V = Integral from a to b of [f(y)]^2 * dy and taking into account the symmetry of the arcsin graph. The final integral is given as V = pi * Integral from -pi/2 to 0
e to the i pi
1. Consider the function f(x) = arcsin(2x^2 - 1).
Write down, but do not attempt to solve, a definite integral in terms of y, which when evaluated will give the volume of the solid of revolution formed by rotating the graph about the y-axis.

2. Endpoints are at (-1, pi/2) and (1, pi/2).
x-intercepts are at (-1/sqrt(2), 0) and (1/sqrt(2), 0).
y-intercept is at (0, -pi/2).
The equation looks like a "bowl" shape.

3. I know that there are two main methods: the disc method and the shell method. Unfortunately, I don't know how to apply them very well. I'm used to having functions only in one quadrant, but this function is in all 4 quadrants at once!
My best attempt would be something like this:
Trying to put it in the form: 2pi*r*h
Integral from -1 to 1 of: 2pi * arcsin(2x^2 - 1) * dy

Physics news on Phys.org
You need of course, to write that integrand in terms of the variable of integration, y.

If y= arcsin(2x^2- 1, then 2x^2- 1= sin(y), 2x^2= 1+ sin(y), x= sqrt{(1+ sin(y)/2). By symmetry, it is sufficent to find the volume generated by rotating the graph in the first quadrant around the y- axis and then multiply by two.

So once I have it in the form x = sqrt((sin(y) + 1)/2), do I then have to change the numbers on the top and bottom of the integral? So instead of going from -1 to 1, I am now going from -pi/2 to +pi/2? And by doing that, I am now wrapping it around the x-axis? So I can change it to become:
y = sqrt((sin(x) + 1)/2) from -pi/2 to pi/2 around the x-axis?
If that is correct, what do I do from then on to create the definite integral?

You said I should cut it in half and then calculate half of that. Does that mean I am only going from 0 to +pi/2 or from -pi/2 to 0, rather than the full way?
So would the integral be like this:
Integral from 0 to +pi/2 of: (sqrt((sin(x) + 1)/2)) * dx
Is that the answer?

Please someone help me! It's been literally weeks and I still can't solve this problem :(

Okay, my new attempt at the solution is to use the formula:
V = Integral from a to b of [f(y)]^2 * dy
By transposition we get:
x = sqrt((sin(y) + 1) / 2)
Since x = f(y), then [f(y)]^2 = (sin(y) + 1) / 2
Now I thought that since an arcsin graph is symmetrical, I can just simply calculate it from -pi/2 to pi/2 since when it rotates it's going to cover the other half anyway.
So the definite integral goes from -pi/2 to pi/2
V = Integral from -pi/2 to pi/2 of (sin(y) + 1) / 2 * dy
Is that correct?

Please tell me if I'm doing it right or wrong because I am still confused!

It's been almost a month and I still haven't solved it! Please help me!

I think what happens is people see a list of answers and just assume it's answered. Just use volume by shells along the y-axis where the volume of the i'th shell is just [itex]\pi r^2 dy[/itex] right? but keep in mind, wish to have the radius always positive so when you solve for the radius in terms of x, you get:

[tex]x^2=1/2 \sin(y)+1[/tex]

but y goes from -pi/2 to pi/2 and the negative values would give a negative value of the sine. So once you get that straight, you can write the volume as:

[tex]V=\pi \int_{-\pi/2}^0 (1/2\sin(-y)+1)dy+\pi \int_0^{\pi/2}(1/2\sin(y)+1)dy[/tex]

think so anyway. You go through it and make sure everything makes sense to you.

Related to Solid of Revolution of an arcsin graph

1. What is a solid of revolution of an arcsin graph?

A solid of revolution of an arcsin graph is a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating the area under the curve of an arcsin (inverse sine) function around a given axis. This shape is often referred to as a "washer" or "washer method".

2. How is a solid of revolution of an arcsin graph calculated?

To calculate a solid of revolution of an arcsin graph, the arc length formula is used to determine the circumference of each disc that makes up the shape. Then, the volume of each disc is calculated and added together to find the total volume of the solid.

3. What is the purpose of finding the solid of revolution of an arcsin graph?

The purpose of finding the solid of revolution of an arcsin graph is to determine the volume of a three-dimensional object that is created by rotating the area under the curve of an arcsin function. This can be useful in various applications, such as calculating the volume of a container with a curved base or finding the volume of a solid object in physics or engineering.

4. What are the limitations of using the solid of revolution of an arcsin graph method?

The solid of revolution of an arcsin graph method can only be used when the area under the curve of the arcsin function is rotated around a single axis. Additionally, the shape must have a circular cross-section, and the axis of rotation must pass through the origin of the graph.

5. Can the solid of revolution of an arcsin graph method be applied to other functions?

Yes, the solid of revolution method can be applied to other functions, such as the sine, cosine, and exponential functions. However, the approach for calculating the volume may differ depending on the shape of the function and the axis of rotation.