Solid of revolution about other lines

In summary, Homework Equations states that the area of a circle is ∏r^2, and that rotating the region between y = -4 and y = x2 - 4 about the x-axis results in the same solid of revolution. Additionally, the washer method can be calculated using V=∏(42)-∏(x2)2, and rin is wrong.
schapman22

Homework Statement

Hey we have started solids of revolutions using disk, washer, and shell methods. But I came across a problem i cannot figure out. "The region of the graph of y=x^2 and the x-axis, for 0<x<2, rotated about the line y=4.

Homework Equations

Area of a circle = ∏r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive drawn the picture but don't even know how to begin with this one. Thank you in advance for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi schapman22! :smile:

they're washers, aren't they? …

vertical washers, all with outer radius 4, and thickness dx :wink:

or:

consider that you get the same solid of revolution (in terms of volume) if you rotate the region between y = -4 and y = x2 - 4 about the x-axis.

if you do this both ways, and get the same answer, chances are you're correct.

Thank you TinyTim, I see what your saying but I am still having trouble coming up with the formula for the washer. To my understanding the formula for the washer method is:
V = PI*rout^2*h - PI+rin^2*h
I am still confused on what to use for rout and rin.

i could be totally wrong, cause i am just learned this in class not to long ago,
but would the outer radius be 4-0 and the inner would be 4-x^2?

hi schapman22! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box, and the "Quick symbols" to the right :wink:)
schapman22 said:
I am still confused on what to use for rout and rin.

they are always measured from the axis

the axis here is y = 4, so you go from there to the two curves specified in the question, the x-axis for rout, and y = x2 for rin :wink:

Thank you guys! That helped a lot.

basically what I did was V=∏(42)-∏(x2)2
so dV/dx = ∏(42-x4)
∫dV=∏∫02(16-x4)dx
V=[16x-(x5/5]02
so V=25.6∏≈80.4248

Does that look right or am I still off?

you rin is wrong :redface:

Didn't you say in your last post to use y=x2 for rin?

nooo …
tiny-tim said:
the axis here is y = 4, so you go from there to the two curves specified in the question, the x-axis for rout, and y = x2 for rin :wink:

(but isn't that obvious anyway from the diagram you've drawn for yourself?)

Oh ok so would that make it 4-x2?

(just got up :zzz: …)

yup! :biggrin:

ugh sorry its taking me so long to get this one, but I did that and now i got a negative answer for my volume. because after imntegrating I got ∏[(x5/5) - (8x3/3)] from 0 to 2. Which is -46.9145

schapman22 said:
…after imntegrating I got ∏[(x5/5) - (8x3/3)] from 0 to 2.

no, you should have got minus that…

∫ π[(4)2 - (4 - x2)2] dx :wink:

Related to Solid of revolution about other lines

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional curve or shape around an axis in space.

2. What are some examples of solids of revolution?

Some common examples of solids of revolution include cones, cylinders, spheres, and tori (donuts).

3. How are solids of revolution different from other 3D shapes?

Solids of revolution have rotational symmetry, meaning they look the same when rotated around a central axis. Other 3D shapes may have different symmetries, such as reflectional or translational symmetry.

4. How do you calculate the volume of a solid of revolution?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be calculated using the formula V = π∫abf(x)^2 dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and f(x) is the function describing the curve being rotated.

5. What are some real-life applications of solids of revolution?

Solids of revolution have many practical applications, such as in engineering and architecture for creating structures with rotational symmetry. They are also used in manufacturing for creating objects with smooth, curved surfaces.