Solenoid Diagram Homework: Right Hand Rule Explained

In summary: The current creates a magnetic field that runs from the positive side of the solenoid to the negative side. The field then exits the solenoid and wraps around again. So the force running parallel to the cylinder shape is caused by the magnetic field.
Daniaal

Homework Statement

upload_2016-7-24_19-2-20.png

(http://imagemap-generator.dariodomi.de/uploads/160725_010743_e42ea59f2569dfbV.png )

Homework Equations

No equations or anything. Just need a visual concept understanding (11U Physics)

The Attempt at a Solution

The solutions say that all compasses should point east... So is the force between the loops going east or west? Using the right hand rule and knowing it's a conventional current, I know which way it wraps around. But I'm really confused as to which way the inner force would point, and how to draw it. Is there a rule or concept I missed?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Daniaal said:
So is the force between the loops going east or west?
I don't understand how you interpret that as being part of the question. Take the solenoids as existing far away from each other is how I read it.

phinds said:
I don't understand how you interpret that as being part of the question. Take the solenoids as existing far away from each other is how I read it.
Sorry I might not have been clear. These are two separate diagrams. I need to find which way the force is going in between the loops shown, in order to see which direction the compasses will face.

Each diagram has two compasses each. So

Question 1) Which way will the two compasses point for a)

Question 2) Which way will the two compasses point for b).

Part a) and b) are not correlated and do not interact with each other.

Daniaal said:
I need to find which way the force is going in between the loops shown, in order to see which direction the compasses will face.
Do you mean the force INSIDE the loops of wire? I just can't understand your phrasing.

phinds said:
Do you mean the force INSIDE the loops of wire? I just can't understand your phrasing.
Yes, the force inside the loop wire.

Assuming the "solenoids" are thick-walled metal cylinders with a hole through the middle, what direction would a steel bead move if placed there and the current turned on?

phinds said:
Assuming the "solenoids" are thick-walled metal cylinders with a hole through the middle, what direction would a steel bead move if placed there and the current turned on?
Towards west?

Daniaal said:
Towards west?
Are you guessing or do you have a rationale for that answer? If you have one, post it. How do you expect us to help you if you don't show your work? If you are just asking us to give you the answer, you should go back and read the forum rules.

phinds said:
Are you guessing or do you have a rationale for that answer? If you have one, post it. How do you expect us to help you if you don't show your work? If you are just asking us to give you the answer, you should go back and read the forum rules.
A conventional current runs from the positive side to negative. When there is a coil that has a current running through it, it can create a strong magnetic force inside the loops of coil. This magnetic force runs from the positive side to the negative side, exits, and does it again, as far as my understanding. I know using the right hand rule which way the specific magnetic field is running AROUND the coil, but I don't understand how it works INSIDE the actual coil-created cylinder. Why does it create a force running parallel to the cylinder shape? Does that force eventually loop around as well, or does it stay constant?

Daniaal said:
Does that force eventually loop around as well, or does it stay constant?
If the force is caused by the magnetic field would you expect it to go on it a straight line or follow the magnetic lines?

phinds said:
If the force is caused by the magnetic field would you expect it to go on it a straight line or follow the magnetic lines?
I'd expect it to follow the magnetic lines, but in all diagrams I see, it goes straight and I do not understand why.

Daniaal said:
I'd expect it to follow the magnetic lines, but in all diagrams I see, it goes straight and I do not understand why.
I'm sorry if I'm a little hard to work with, I'm just trying to grasp the basic understanding of magnetic fields.

Daniaal said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 103773

(http://imagemap-generator.dariodomi.de/uploads/160725_010743_e42ea59f2569dfbV.png )

Homework Equations

No equations or anything. Just need a visual concept understanding (11U Physics)

The Attempt at a Solution

The solutions say that all compasses should point east... So is the force between the loops going east or west? Using the right hand rule and knowing it's a conventional current, I know which way it wraps around. But I'm really confused as to which way the inner force would point, and how to draw it. Is there a rule or concept I missed?

Thanks.
I think I can offer an explanation that may help. I think you have already figured out that the magnetic field in the solenoid points from left to right. You assume the magnetic field from the solenoid is much stronger than the Earth's magnetic field. One other item that needs to be explained is what a compass is. A compass has a magnetized needle in it that will align with whatever magnetic field is present. The "+" end of the needle (the pointing end=the north pole end) points north(without a solenoid) because the magnetic field of the Earth goes from south to north. With a solenoid, you are artificially creating a magnetic field that points along the axis of the solenoid. The right hand rule allows you to determine the direction of the magnetic field through the solenoid. Your coursework is not advanced enough yet to do very much with actual magnetic forces, but you should be able to understand that a permanent magnet (magnetized iron) and a solenoid are quite similar in that they each have "+" and "-" poles at their endfaces and the field outside of them goes from the "+" and loops back to the "-". Inside the solenoid the magnetic field goes from the "-" end to the "+" end and the same is true for the magnetic field inside a permanent magnet (such as a compass needle or any other permanent magnet.) The other thing you need to know is that the +" poles repel each other (and the "-" end of the compass (needle) magnet gets attracted to the "+" end of the solenoid), so the needle magnet inside the compass will point away from the "+" end of the solenoid. Hopefully this was helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles Link said:
I think I can offer an explanation that may help. I think you have already figured out that the magnetic field in the solenoid points from left to right. You assume the magnetic field from the solenoid is much stronger than the Earth's magnetic field. One other item that needs to be explained is what a compass is. A compass has a magnetized needle in it that will align with whatever magnetic field is present. The "+" end of the needle (the pointing end=the north pole end) points north(without a solenoid) because the magnetic field of the Earth goes from south to north. With a solenoid, you are artificially creating a magnetic field that points along the axis of the solenoid. The right hand rule allows you to determine the direction of the magnetic field through the solenoid. Your coursework is not advanced enough yet to do very much with actual magnetic forces, but you should be able to understand that a permanent magnet (magnetized iron) and a solenoid are quite similar in that they each have "+" and "-" poles at their endfaces and the field outside of them goes from the "+" and loops back to the "-". Inside the solenoid the magnetic field goes from the "-" end to the "+" end and the same is true for the magnetic field inside a permanent magnet (such as a compass needle or any other permanent magnet.) The other thing you need to know is that the +" poles repel each other (and the "-" end of the compass (needle) magnet gets attracted to the "+" end of the solenoid), so the needle magnet inside the compass will point away from the "+" end of the solenoid. Hopefully this was helpful.
Thank you so much. This clears up the concept well, you've explained it perfectly. I really appreciate it :)

Likes Charles Link
Just a follow-on comment: A very interesting homework problem. We did a number of experiments in college with solenoids, but we never used a compass needle to probe the magnetic field.

Related to Solenoid Diagram Homework: Right Hand Rule Explained

What is a solenoid diagram?

A solenoid diagram is a visual representation of how a solenoid works. It shows the direction of the magnetic field and current flow in a solenoid.

What is the right hand rule?

The right hand rule is a way to determine the direction of a magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire or a solenoid. It states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow, then your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

How is the right hand rule used in solenoid diagrams?

The right hand rule is used in solenoid diagrams to determine the direction of the magnetic field inside the solenoid. By pointing your right thumb in the direction of the current flow, you can determine the direction of the magnetic field lines, which are represented by arrows in the diagram.

Why is the right hand rule important in understanding solenoid diagrams?

The right hand rule is important because it helps us understand the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. In solenoid diagrams, it helps us visualize the direction of the magnetic field and how it is affected by the current flowing through the solenoid.

Can the right hand rule be used for other electrical components besides solenoids?

Yes, the right hand rule can be used for other electrical components such as wires, coils, and motors. It is a universal rule that helps us understand the interaction between electric currents and magnetic fields in various electrical devices.