How Do You Calculate the Magnetic Field Near a Solenoid?

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at point A, located at d1= 5 mm from the near wire and d2= 7 mm from the far wire. The wires are carrying a current of I=2.4 A to and from a solenoid with 600 coils of wire wrapped in a cylinder 15 cm long and 1 cm in diameter. To solve this, we can use the equation B=(μ0/2π)(I/d) since the wires are in parallel and not twisted up like a solenoid. The length in this case would be either d1 or d2, depending on which is being calculated first, and the current is 2.
SamL

Homework Statement

A pair of wires carry a current I=2.4 A to and from a solenoid. The solenoid contains 600 coils of wire wrapped in a cylinder 15 cm long and 1 cm in diameter.
a.) What is the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at point A d1= 5 mm from the near wire and d2= 7 mm from the far wire?

Homework Equations

B=(m0*N*I)/l

The Attempt at a Solution

We know m0, N, and I but I'm not sure if the length is supposed to be the 5 mm or 15 cm? Obviously which ever I use I'll have to convert to meters. Do I just plug that stuff into the equation above and I'll have the answer? After I find the magnetic field magnitude with the equation, I'll use the right hand rule to find out which direction it points.

Physics news on Phys.org
The length will be the length of the solenoid; the field depends upon the number of turns per unit length.

It's not clear from your problem statement exactly where the points in question are located with respect to the solenoid: So many millimeters away from a wire could be in any direction. How are we to know what is the "near wire" and the "far wire"? Also, the field direction is going to depend upon the current direction and the sense of the winding. Was a diagram included with the problem?

Yes it was. I thought I posted it already. Sorry, here it is

Attachments

• hw5.pdf
    187.5 KB · Views: 263
this is easier to view without having to open pesky pdf files ...

coil.JPG

So it looks like point A might be nowhere near the solenoid; the distance of point A from the solenoid is not given. It is, however very near the two wires. Does that suggest anything to you?

So if it's nowhere near the solenoid, I don't use the solenoid equation, B=(m0NI)/l? Is that what you're saying? Would I use B=(m0/2pi)(I/d) since the wires are in parallel right there and not all twisted up like a solenoid? The d value would be either d1 or d2, depending upon which I chose to do first, and the I value would 2.4 A. Is that correct?

SamL said:
Would I use B=(m0/2pi)(I/d) since the wires are in parallel right there and not all twisted up like a solenoid? The d value would be either d1 or d2, depending upon which I chose to do first, and the I value would 2.4 A. Is that correct?
Yes it is. And the magnetic field at point A is superposition of the two magnetic fields.

SamL said:
So if it's nowhere near the solenoid, I don't use the solenoid equation, B=(m0NI)/l? Is that what you're saying? Would I use B=(m0/2pi)(I/d) since the wires are in parallel right there and not all twisted up like a solenoid? The d value would be either d1 or d2, depending upon which I chose to do first, and the I value would 2.4 A. Is that correct?
That's the idea.

By the way, you can access Greek letters and other symbols via the ##\Sigma## icon in the edit panel, in case you want to write μo rather than m0.

Awesome thanks! :)

Related to How Do You Calculate the Magnetic Field Near a Solenoid?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges and can be represented by magnetic field lines.

2. How is a magnetic field produced?

A magnetic field is produced by moving electric charges, such as electrons. It can also be produced by permanent magnets and electric currents.

3. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is used in many devices, including electromagnets and electric motors.

4. How does a solenoid work?

When an electric current is passed through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field along the axis of the coil. The strength of the magnetic field can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil or by increasing the current passing through it.

5. What are the applications of magnetic fields and solenoids?

Magnetic fields and solenoids have a wide range of applications, including in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, particle accelerators, and speakers. They are also used in everyday objects such as doorbells, electric locks, and credit cards.